.311" bullets in .32 HR Mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jason280_2

Single-Sixer
I picked up a box of Hornady 71gr FMJs, which are sized .311" for a .32 ACP. How well will these work in a Single Six .32 HR, and any recommended loads?

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I have reloaded the .32 magnum since the 80's and the problem you will run into is this. The neck expander die in several brands of dies I have all measured .312. They were made for a .314 size bullet. So loading anything under the .314 size bullet will not not hold the bullet tight enough in the case even with a heavy crimp to provide even ignition. I have turned my neck expanders down to .309 to get a decent pull on the bullet. A .311 bullet can be pushed down into the case with finger pressure when using the stock expander. My 4 Ruger .32 magnums all shoot best with bullets sized to .312. I haven't measured a .32acp expander but it might provide the correct pull to use .311 bullets. The Ruger will shoot the .311 bullets fairly decent maybe even better than that if you can take care of the other problem.

Jason280_2

Single-Sixer
That's good information. I just ordered my dies and and a 100ct box of Starline brass, and I haven't had an opportunity to measure the expander. My plan was to use cast bullets in the gun, but was able to pick the 71gr pills for cheap. I'd hoped I could use them for plinking loads, and may still be able to.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Jason280_2":2ued1lzc said:
That's good information. I just ordered my dies and and a 100ct box of Starline brass, and I haven't had an opportunity to measure the expander. My plan was to use cast bullets in the gun, but was able to pick the 71gr pills for cheap. I'd hoped I could use them for plinking loads, and may still be able to.

FWIW, I also got a cheap load of 71 grain 32 bullets from Midway, jacketed MagTech's. So I bought them. Tried MANY reloading recipes, but consistently ran into an enigma when going for hotter loads in my 327 Fed Mag loads. Up to a point, (using Unique), the velocity rose when the load rose. Then, it suddenly 'leveled out', and then DEcreased for increased loads!!! AND, the Sd went to the moon! I had NEVER had this happen for any other caliber, (and I load a LOT of them), so I went online and asked. The one answer I got that seemed to make sense was that the bullets were too light for the caliber. Note that others, (read several articles about this) had loaded this weight, and even 60 grainers (!) and NOT had this problem. But anyway, I now restrict my loads of those bullets (71 gr) to a 'modest' load, and shoot them anyway. Accuracy is not bad, and I have LOT of them, so . . .

I just loaded a bunch of 100 Grain LSWC's for that gun, and they shot better and faster as the loading increased. So maybe the weight thing is correct. ??

Anyway, I know this is for a much higher pressure loading than that of the H&R 32, but it might be of interest to you anyway.

P.S. The MagTech bullets (71 grain) that I bought are MARKED '32ACP', but since they measure .312, I bought them anyway, and as mentioned, they shoot ok. I crimp them HEAVILY, BTW. Even though they have no cannelure, when I get done crimping them, . . . THEY DO. (Tried to pull a couple and had a heck of a time, and the bullets are clearly 'necked' afterwards. I use the Lee FCD, BTW.)
Good luck...