308 win comments/help please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4521dln

Single-Sixer
This is what iam loading 308 win: Remington brass, winchester large rifle primers, Hornady 165 gr BTSP bullets, Winchester 760 powder. Load book has a range of 48gr on low side and a max load of 52 gr. I am loading for a new rifle, I started by loading 10 loads @ 1 grain increments (48, 49,50, 51). My question Load @ 51 gr just about fills the case, maybe 1/4" from top of case. 52gr would be hard to get in case. There is no mention in the load info that this is a compressed load. Iam I doing something wrong?

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
If it's new brass or full length resized, it's gonna hold less. 52 grains of 760 is ok according to hodgden.com but your best load will likley be south of that. If you tap the case a little the powder will go down.

Enigma

Hunter
Either tapping the case or using a funnel with a long(er) drop tube should allow you to get the desired powder charge into your brass. I believe Forster sells a powder funnel with a long drop tube attached, or you can improvise one with a straw or piece of tubing.

DGW1949

Hunter
And......do note that there is quite a difference in what "max load" means from one gun to the next.
A bolt gun will tolerate a lot more than will an M1A because what matters aint always chamber pressure.
Sometimes it's the port-pressure that gets ya...... and port-pressure aint always mentioned in the manual(s).

Stay safe.

DGW

Paul B

Hunter
I'll be perfectly blunt here. Some of that load data scares the crap out of me. I use W760 with the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core in my Ruger M77 RSI and a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger I won at a gun show and restocked to fit me. I worked up to 49.0 gr. which is max for those two rifles. That load will lock up the bolt on a custom Mauser and a Remington 660. I'd be extremely careful when doing the load work up with that powder. For the record, the RSI does 2550 FPS with that load and I've killed deer out to 250 yards laser measured. The M70 does 2610 FPS from it's 22" barrel.
Frankly, W760 is a bit too slow for the .308 unless you want to work with heavier bullets. The only reason I use 760 is that load it the only one the RSI will shoot with any degree of accuracy. The rifle is a "one trick pony". All I will say about that is it took me two years worth of load work ups before I found that load. If you can find some, you'd probably be better off with W748, H335, one of the 4895's or Varget which is popular with some.
Paul B.