.303 British bullet help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Anyone know where I can find some .311 diameter bullets to re-load for my .303 British in 220 grain hollow point? They used to be readily available in factory ammo years ago, but now the heaviest I see commercially made is 180 grain. Thanks in advance.
Dave

res45

Bearcat
About the closest thing I could find is the Sierra 174 gr. .311 BTHP MatchKing not a bad replacement bullet if you have to settle for that. Lot's of guy that shoot 303 and 54r really like that bullet and it's super accurate.

It's a pain when your favorite bullet goes out of production which is probably the case with the 220 gr. I know how you feel had the same thing happen to me when Speer quit making the .357 146 gr. Half-jacket bullet was my favorite in my Ruger BH.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

It's been a while since I've seen anyone ask about 215-220 gr bullets for the .303...

On another forum 4-5 years back, it was suggested 215s are still quite popular across the border in Canada and both ammo and bullets were available then. Dunno if they still are, or what kinda gyrations it takes to get either into the States from above the 49th...

Would cast bullets do the job for you? A mold might be easier to find than jacketed bullets in that weight.

Rick C

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Would cast bullets do the job for you? A mold might be easier to find than jacketed bullets in that weight.

Rick C[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies. I can find 220 grainers in lead cast but I was hoping to find some jacketed soft points out there somewhere. Looks like I may have to just settle for the 180's.

w44wcf

Bearcat
Lyman's 314299 was designed especially for the .303 british.
314299_200g.gif

w44wcf