300 H&H Hawkeye.....dead and gone!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcvictory

Bearcat
well folks, it's official.

as per ruger's customer response line today, the long awaited #300 H&H Hawkeye will not be produced.

..."unfortunately, we have decided not to pursue production of the 300 H&H in the Hawkeye"...

finally, a decision and a straight answer from ruger. after nine months of promises and delays.

if i didn't like rugers so much, i really wouldn't like ruger.

a grand old caliber that could have had a home in a fine rifle.

R.I.P.

picketpin

Buckeye
I for one could never figure out HOW they were going to make it on the action. Yeah, I know you can open up an action to work with it, but that's certainly a mod they don't have to do to anything else and doesn't come for free when it comes to production.

Two, while there is a market, it is a niche market and how many would they REALLY sell?

While it's disapointing it is also one of the few SMART "business" decisions they have made in recent years as far as calibers go.

RWT

wunbe

Buckeye
Waiting and begging for Ruger to satisfy your cravings is a mug's game. They knew about the production issues from the start and still led us on. (I would have been sorely tempted myself.) Hell they do all kinds of niche runs -- lke the new pistol cartridge #1s.

I never wait for Ruger to gin up the #1s I want. I have them made. Two donors now are in the wings waiting for inspiration and mad money to build critical mass.

wunbe

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Had wanted one myself and had the funds waiting. At least I can put that $ towards something else now.

picketpin

Buckeye
wunbeZ: I agree 100%. If you want am odd or off the wall czrtridge in a #1, it's best just to make it/ Either through re-barreling or rechambering and getting what you want.

Then if they ever bring it out as a factory round you can always buy the factory rifle and use the custom for another project.

I had built at least 6 #1s in 7mm STW, all the time asking Ruger to bring them out. When they finally did bring itout I did buy one, even though I'm not that fond of the stainless/laminate #1B. Of course that was a one year run, even if cataloged.

I went ahead and put walnut on it and made it into a #1S, which I prefer in a hunting caliber.

Yep. if you want one thats "special" it's best to just build it rather than waiting for Ruger to ever make it. Guys that want 30-30 #1s or 225s or............. will get it a lot faster by just making one.

RWT

Rifleman

Bearcat
I don't know how many 300 H&H Hawkeye rifles Ruger could have sold, I do know they could have sold one to me.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Rifleman":lk4v8ixk said:
I don't know how many 300 H&H Hawkeye rifles Ruger could have sold,

They would have sold the small they had planned I think. There's still a few of us that aren't awe struck by the latest super short ultra magnum supreme cartridges. Some of us do like the classics.

Rifleman":1bmctexw said:
I don't know how many 300 H&H Hawkeye rifles Ruger could have sold, I do know they could have sold one to me.

I called this "Ruger will not be making this 300 H&H Hawkeye" right after I got back from the NRA Show as discusssed in another previous thread. But I would have PURCHASED & I TOLD RUGER @ THE NRA SHOW I would buy 6 of them. 4 for my boys & two for me! And I would retire our Remington 721's, Remington Classic & Winchester Model 70 pre 64's. Believe me I worked hard to get them to do it.NO DEAL! But Ruger did make 2ea M-77 factory 300 H&H so I will just go after ( about done ) 8) one of those!

Rifleman

Bearcat
SteveRuger":2x4w392k said:
Rifleman":2x4w392k said:

I called this "Ruger will not be making this 300 H&H Hawkeye" right after I got back from the NRA Show as discusssed in another previous thread. But I would have PURCHASED & I TOLD RUGER @ THE NRA SHOW I would buy 6 of them. 4 for my boys & two for me! And I would retire our Remington 721's, Remington Classic & Winchester Model 70 pre 64's. Believe me I worked hard to get them to do it.NO DEAL! But Ruger did make 2ea M-77 factory 300 H&H so I will just go after ( about done ) 8) one of those!

I'm with you! I'd love to get a 300 H&H to hunt with and be able to semi-retire my pre "64 Model 70. The Hawkeye would have been a good one.

TRanger

Blackhawk
I don't understand offering an oddball chambering like the 6.5 Creedmore, but not the 300 H&H. For that matter, is anyone buying those Ruger Compact Magnum rounds they came up with?