$300 Garands? $200 M1 Carbines???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Remember when Carbines were all over the racks for $200? When not so long ago you could pick up a rack-grade Garand for $3-400?

Read in Guns&Ammo magazine (January 2010 p, 12) the South Korean army & navy are shipping 86,000 M1 Garands and 22,000 Mi Carbines to the US market, "to be sold in 2010".

These have been in mothballs since the '50s, used by US troops in Korea & Vietnam; and since rarely used for drills...

If you don't have a type 03 FFL "Collector of Curios or Relics" today, I'd say it is time to GET ONE!

Who knows how these guns will hit the market - what distributors will do with them, but with that any I can only hope we'll see several competing sellers and heavy discounts over the inflated pricing we have seen in the past few years... :!: :!: :!:

XLIV

Single-Sixer
I agree, will probably be returned to the CMP. Like the last batch..some of the carbines that have been returned were distributed this past summer. It takes a while for them to get cleaned, inspected and tested. I dont see them being announced for a while.

Rack grade Garands are still being offered for 445.00 even now. Once they hit the civilian market they double.

Watch the Korean 30-06 ammo that gets offered..some of that needed to be inspected carefully before shooting.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

and here's a 2005 catalog when they were selling loaned rifles - Danish and Greek
http://www.stcloudweather.com/gunclub/catalog.pdf

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I considered the CMP route - but CMP gets 100% of it's stock from the US arsenals. They're not importers nor wholesalers (distributors).

Of course G&A could never be wrong... but the news short said they were "originally given to South Korea". These aren't being recalled by the US government, not from the article.

CDNN, SOG, J&G Sales and others got their start by importing or wholesaling import shiploads of military surplus. Maybe they still know how to get the customers' attention..?

I'm just hoping we see some neat stuff, at reduced prices.

:D :D :D

yeah, if Sam Cummings were still alive ,my money would have been he bought them ALL from South Korea....but it could be ANY of the importers, money will get them what they want...but as said, never know just what the governments have agreed to ,between them.............and then make it into the 'cmp'....sounds good anyway.....I've got mine, so good luck to you others. I think I've got like $116 tied up in the BOTH of them...... 8)

mattsbox99

Hunter
I've bought several Garands and Carbines from the CMP, along with truckloads of ammo. Service is slow, but the price and quality is top notch.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am hoping for modest priced M1 Garands as I foolishly didn't buy one oh 10 years ago when I was active in the CMP/DCM shooting and the prices in later years climbed higher then I was willing to spend.

I have modest wants, a decent base gun that I can send out and have rebarreled and turned into a capable match rifle as they won't let me shoot my mouse gun (tricked out Colt DCM rifle) at Garand Matches as they know my mouse gun will outshoot most M1s :wink:

mattsbox99

Hunter
For $1000 the CMP will take a checked out SA, rebarrel it, replace any worn parts, reparkerize it, re stock it, and test it. The only thing you need to be really competitive is a NM set of sights.

coal

Bearcat
I don't have anything required to purchase from CMP. There's nothing in my area so I guess I'll be left out of the reduced prices unless someone can offer an alternative.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Just join the Garand Collectors Assn and that alone and a CCW permit is normally enough to qualify. I can try to post links when I am a computer because while I read and post via my phone a lot, I can't search well with this!

amen and well said 'Splitz' as I said , I have both of mine and through the 'program' and they were CHEAP.........and our club back then, also got LOTS of ammo for use.....helps to belong to a club or state organization and they 'participate' in the CMP......good luck,otherwise you gotta pay the 'speculators'..........I have talked with some of the guys ,locally that went up to Camp Perry, to the CMP 'store and bought what ever they "needed' and could even build their own from literally 'scratch'..........

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
coal, as promised here are the links:

Garand Collectors Association: http://www.thegca.org/

CMP Program website: http://www.thecmp.org/

CMP Eleigibility requirements: http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Note the CMP FAQ says:

How do I find out about affiliated clubs in my area?

Log on to www.odcmp.com and look under the link marked CLUB INFO. Find the link on the club info page that lists all of our affiliated clubs. If you are unable to find a club in your immediate area, please try your state association or the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) www.thegca.org , a special affiliate with the CMP.

So, just join the GCA if the club is the issue. It is cheap and they are a great bunch of guys! Citizenship, age, GCA membership, CCW permit is al you need as stated above.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
As of 8Dec2009 Orest Michaels has spoken:
http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3319
I was hoping the CMP would get them as they have some reliable sorting and grading standards. There is an outfit in NY called Orion7 that has USGI parts and a range of reasonably priced complete rifles. I think the days of cheap Garands maybe history, not to mention large quantities of surplus 30/06. Expensive ammo took all the fun out of the big auto loaders. :cry:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Reloading compent prices themselves have made shooting big autoloaders too expensive to shoot much as well. I love my FALs and my AR-10s but finding primers was near impossible for much of last year and prices of everything went crazy.

If these go to an importer, there is a chance the prices might not be "that" crazy assuming we do see them. I really would like one but darn the supply of 30/06 ammo is limited and if I got one I would likely rebarrel it to 7.62 NATO (308) anyways as I have 5-gal buckets of cleaned brass for 308 :wink:

Tha has been the biggest reason I have put off an M1 Garand purchase every year for at least 13-years now. I even filled out the application to buy one a few times but just never got it sent in.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I carried both of those over there at different times. The carbine was nice and light, but not my choice of a battle weapon. Will be nice to see those guns come home.
Sonnytoo