.300 and .338 RCM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ranger975

Bearcat
I decided to bring this subject up again as it confuses me the dislike for them. I have to argue the point made that ammunition is hard to come by, just not the case. I have to argue the fact they are not made anymore, not true. Ruger jas a dang nice guide gun in those calibers and more.

The next point is balistics. Hmmm, unless hornady just makes up lies, the balistics from my 300 RCM matches the 300 win mag easy. Seems to me the nice 20" barrel is a good thing, why would anyone not like that. As for the 338 RCM, nearly matches the 338 WinMag in every area, how is that bad. Marketing was bad but the cliber and Hornady powder make has that round smoking and at the same grains of bullets.

To make a fair bad point for these calibers, until Hornady makes the powder mix public, the reloads fall very short of the factory ammunition. The factory ammunition is very affordable, less than and 338 WinMag ammo and mathces everyone else for the 300 RCM. Lots of calibers are made, some go away, some struggle and some fail. These RCM calibers have not failed and the ammo is out there and easy to find. The fact it is not on a shelf, so what, order it, order a few, get free shipping and have it. I have them both and they are tac driving SUB MOA shooters out to 300, which is as far as the range I shoot it, goes. I support any new caliber that comes around and am dang glad people keep trying and inventing them. So a rifle that is as light or lighter as a Tikka T3, has anywhere from 2 to 4 inches shorter of a barrel, has a short action and then, is a magnum and has the same balistics as the long action magnums, wow, love it.

Just making a few points. Anyone else out there own these.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I agree with everything you say. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ruger Compact Magnums. I have seriously contemplated buying a 338 RCM but have not simply because I am happy with my 338 Winchesters. With the powders that we cannot get (in factory loads), performance is impressive. With the powders we CAN get, I see little difference between the 338 RCM and the 338/06, with the 338/06 having a greater magazine capacity if that matters to you. The brass supply for the 338/06 will be there as long as rifle cartridges as we know them are made.

One advantage that a short cartridge will always have over a longer cartridge is the fact that the base of the bullet is closer to the bolt face. If two cartridges have the same capacity and are loaded to the same pressure in rifles with the same barrel length, the shorter cartridge will have a higher muzzle velocity. This is because the short cartridge rifle will have a longer effective barrel length because the bullet will be under pressure for a longer distance.

In my handloading I find that the variance between published data in a 24" barrel and shorter barrels is roughly 50fps per inch using the same powder weight. Assuming this 50fps/inch loss, if the shorter cartridge is 1/2" shorter than the longer cartridge, the shorter cartridge starts off with a 25fps advantage, assuming equal barrel lengths.

Ranger975

Bearcat
Very good points. It is a great deal for me, not ever being a reloading hunter. I should. The factory ammunition is cheap, balistics are great. I did not think the short barrel was that big of a deal until, sitting in a thick vegetation blind and moving the rifle around, there was a difference. The weight was nice when hiking 3/4 and more miles.

One real inviting thing was, getting tac driving magnum powered Ruger Hawkeye for 500 bucks. LOL Put a nice Leupold on there and Elk in the freezer. LOL More than enough ammo out there. Good hunting.Thanks for the response as well.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ranger975 said:
Very good points. It is a great deal for me, not ever being a reloading hunter. I should. The factory ammunition is cheap, balistics are great. I did not think the short barrel was that big of a deal until, sitting in a thick vegetation blind and moving the rifle around, there was a difference. The weight was nice when hiking 3/4 and more miles.

One real inviting thing was, getting tac driving magnum powered Ruger Hawkeye for 500 bucks. LOL Put a nice Leupold on there and Elk in the freezer. LOL More than enough ammo out there. Good hunting.Thanks for the response as well.
Agreed, 100%.