30 super carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
As far as I know only Smith and Wesson has created guns for the 30. I am not happy to think about it but I really do believe it's a cartridge that's gonna go nowhere. Consider this you can't even get regular ammunition that you want for all the other calibers that are traditional we really don't need a new caliber as good as it may be
Secondly I think they dropped the ball on this one because Smith and Wesson just came out with the CFX and that would've been a great gun to introduce the caliber with and they didn't

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
It seems to provide a 7.62 x 21 mm or 7.62 x 25 mm capabilities in a shorter and thinner cartridge and equivalent to .327 magnum revolver.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
On this one, I think Ruger may take a "wait-and-see" attitude. 30 SC can't keep up with the 327 Federal (1175 FPS with a 115 grain Gold Dot vs. 1450+ FPS from the 327 Federal.) but is on par with the heavy 32 H&R loads, which isn't bad, but still not as effective as a good 9mm. I'm not sure if the extra 2 rounds are worth the trade-off, especially since it doesn't offer reduced recoil over the 9. That being said, I bet it will be accurate, as most 32 cals (which it is, despite the "30" moniker) seem to inherently be, and I'm stoked that Speer is putting the 115 grain Gold Dot back into production since that is my go-to for the 327 Federal. (y)

GrandmasterB

Bearcat
Seems like an interesting round, but I don't know what it does better then 9mm except add 2 more rounds, which may or may not be a material difference.

joecrab

Bearcat
I agree with the opinions posted above. I thought that if a .32 caliber cartridge were to be introduced, it would appeal to shooters who were recoil sensitive while maintaining a SD equal to the 115 Gr. 9MM bullet. Instead, it is offered in a bullet of 115 grs. at velocities that very much matches that of the 9MM. I cannot see how the recoil would be less than the 9, since the bullet is the same and the velocity is also so near that of the 9MM. A .312 diameter bullet of 90 grs would have a SD as the 115 gr. 9MM and when fired at 1200 fps should penetrate to a similar depth, providing it be a properly constructed bullet. Add 2 more rounds, reduced recoil and a very easy to shoot pistol and I would be interested in trying it on far size. As I view the world, the .30 SC would be a significant improvement over the .380 that I carry every day in spite of the fact that a .380 is somewhat marginal at best. I will wait until components are available first though.

Last edited: