30 carbine ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I loaded my first 30 carbine ammo the other day. I used hornady hp 90 gr bullets. I seated about 1/2 of the bullet into the cases and left them there. I tried the loaded bullets in my blackhawk and the fit fine. They could be seated deeper but I like the look now. Is their any reason to seat them deeper for accuracy or anything that I am not concidering. The bullets are in the case about 1/8".

Chief 101

Hunter
My thoughts only, as I have not tried what you are doing. Even tho the 30 Carbine doesn't have much recoil you may have some bullet jump as in when you fire a round from a fully loaded revolver there may not be enough tension to hold the projectile in place. Plus, most powders that you would use in tdhat cartridge need as much tension on the projectile as you can get. I can't see anything you could hurt if you tried this, you can generally get the cylinder out to fix any bullet jump. Just a thought.
Chief aka Maxx Load

jdc

Bearcat
My Blackhawk likes both the Hornady 90gr .309 bullet as well as the Hornady 86gr .308 bullet over all others – shoots flat and is most accurate.

I find that the finished cartridge Over All Length (OAL) is much more important than how deeply the bullet is seated in the case. My Blackhawk likes an OAL of 1.622" with both of these bullets. As Cherokee says a crimp is very important with all revolver loads, I use the Lee factor crimp die.

The other thing I've found about my Blackhawk is that the load books generally give data for "carbine" length barrels and the Blackhawk's short barrel doesn't like powders like H100 & W296. I've tried to find a good load with L'Gun but HS-6 seems to work best for my Blackhawk. I use a starting load of 5.0gr of HS-6 and work up from there to find an accurate load.

I hope you enjoy shooting and loading your .30 Cal Blackhawk as much as I do.

Chief 101

Hunter
jimbo, H110 in the 30 C is fine, I know a lot of reloaders using it with all size slugs. On a personal note I have found 2400 to be just a little less flashy and just as accurate if not better. Chief aka Maxx Load

avery53

Bearcat
Chief 101":3f004536 said:
jimbo, H110 in the 30 C is fine, I know a lot of reloaders using it with all size slugs. On a personal note I have found 2400 to be just a little less flashy and just as accurate if not better. Chief aka Maxx Load
The flash is a real attention getter at the range, especially just before dark. :lol:
avery

Chief 101

Hunter
The flash and noise is fun if you are entertaining the boys but it's hard on the senses if you are out shootin at the coyote,

avery53

Bearcat
Chief 101":23km0e5m said:
The flash and noise is fun if you are entertaining the boys but it's hard on the senses if you are out shootin at the coyote,
Not to mention setting grass fires. :lol:

jdc

Bearcat
jimbo1096":3gt1gavc said:
What about H110 in the 30 Carbine with a heavier bullet?

H110/W296 both work ok in 30 Carbine Blackhawks and you can load up to 130GR bullets, but all that flash is powder burning outside the barrel and not adding any power to the load. I also find that H110 and its twin W296 are inconsistent in my Blackhawk.

Rather than H100 or W296 my preference is HS-6. I've also been working up loads for L'Gun but haven't hit on a great load yet. L'Gun works so well in 22 Hornet that it must have potential for the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.

jdc

Bearcat
I was doing some research last night and came across some old Greenhill tables on maximum bullet length/weight and a barrels twist rate.

Ruger says the 30 cal Blackhawk has a barrel twist rate of 1:20 (though some early Blackhawks may be 1:16), for this twist rate the Greenhill formula suggest that the Blackhawk has a maximum bullet length of 0.71" and a maximum bullet weight of 125 Gr. Anything beyond this would probably be unstable and yield poor accuracy.

harledav

Bearcat
Hello, all. I recently loaded some 115 gr. LRN which measure .309. They chamber fine in the carbine, but I can't get them to chamber in the Blackhawk. The case length is below maximum, and all the dimensions spec out according to the various manuals. My loads with the same cases using 110gr. FMJ are without problems. Any ideas?

edlmann

Blackhawk
Tommy Kelly":2tfru33m said:
I loaded my first 30 carbine ammo the other day. I used hornady hp 90 gr bullets. I seated about 1/2 of the bullet into the cases and left them there. I tried the loaded bullets in my blackhawk and the fit fine. They could be seated deeper but I like the look now. Is their any reason to seat them deeper for accuracy or anything that I am not concidering. The bullets are in the case about 1/8".

Rule of thumb is that you want to have a cartridge neck about one caliber long (approx 3/10") and have the bullets seated fully within the neck to get the most uniform neck tension.

harledav

Bearcat
Thanks, Cherokee. I read somewhere else of loading the cast bullets a little deeper because of the shape being a little different. I would think I'd have to use Unique or something that doesn't fill the case as much as the H110, to do this, however.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
harledav - I was taking about the case length, not the OAL. For my OM 30C's, I keep the case length at 1.281 based on experence with several. As to OAL, the CB does have to enter the throat of the chambers to fully seat, which depends upon the style and size of the CB nose.

harledav

Bearcat
Cherokee: Thanks, I understood that. It seems the shape of my CBs make them very tight in the throats, even though they only measure .3085. Are the throats tapered like the chambers? I'll try trimming the cases back to 1.280.

JohnnyRingo

Bearcat
personally, i always load to manual specs on my bullet depth,ect. youd be suprised what a little overseating can do for pressure. if you need any 30 carbine load data, let me know. i load for 4 different blackhawks,3 different M1 cabines, and 1 t/c contender all in 30 carbine. my favorite bullet is the remington soft nose 110gr.

Latest posts