30 carbine questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a 30 carbine blackhawk. It was actually my first revolver, I liked the barrel length. I don't really shoot it that often but am all set up to reload for it. RCBS Carbide dies. Brass etc. I have a few questions...first. they take small rifle primers, correct? Is the load data the same for rifle and revolver in this caliber?

Also, I have lead round nose 115 grain bullets. BUT, I can only find load data for 110 grain bullets. Would there be much of a difference in 5 grain bullets if I were to start at the low end of the spectrum?

And finally this isn't a straight walled pistol case, is it? It appears to be almost tapered, does this change the amount or way I would crimp the bullet?

It's pretty close in size to the .327. I haven't compared ballastics between the two but I bet they are similar....

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It is a fun caliber to reload. Yes it uses small rifle primers. It is straight walled, that's why you can use a carbide sizing die. The load data can be the same or you can reduce the load for non semi-auto rifles and handguns. A taper crimp is what should be used as the round seats on the case mouth. Try to find data for the particular bullet you are using or reduce the load considerably when starting.

There is some 115gr lead bullet data at the Accurate website. http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
Accurate #9
115 (L) LYMAN #311359 --- 10.0 --- 1,678 --- 11.2 --- 1,834 --- 45,028 --- 1.635

What powder were you thinking of using?

Jim. Hello, well I was thinking of using H110 (W296) Simply because that is what I have. Well. That's what's available as well. There is a local store here I haven't been to yet, they might have some other powders. Thanks for the Accurate link. I didn't know they had a Web site.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I don't have a revolver in .30 Carbine (yet :D), but I started loading for my Inland.

As Jimbo says, it's a straight wall case, hence the carbide dies. However, I still lube every 5th round or so, as milsurp cases can be a bit stiff with thick case walls.

I load 15gr of W296 in milsurp cases, Winchester SRP, and Remington 110gr FMJ or JSP. That is reportedly the standard GI load.

I have heard not to reduce loads in W296, as high pressures may result...As my Inland is a old war-horse, I didn't play around with the loads. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about that, so will defer to others more in the know.

And, also as Jimbo said, it's a taper crimp and head spaces on the case mouth.

Good luck with reloading for it...you'll get more info here if needed.

Aqualung

sixshot

Buckeye
I have a Ruger 30 carbine just like yours but I use 32/20 brass in mine, it has a rim so you don't have to worry about headspace. You do have to trim the brass back about 1/10" to start. I'm shooting cast slugs that are anywhere from .311"-.313" so far with good results. After a couple of firings your 32/20 brass will look just like 30 carbine brass except for the rim. I use both small pistol primers & small rifle primers depending on what powder I'm using. A favored load is 12 grs of 2400, small rifle primer, 32/20 case & a 122 gr. 30 GC bullet that I powder coat but don't size. That way it comes out about .311"-.312" & shoots good. Another good load with the same bullet is 7 grs of Longshot & a small pistol primer & the same bullet. I also shoot 3 different .313" bullets in it with good results.

Dick

veeman

Single-Sixer
I have never had any luck using a carbide die for the 30. Nowadays I use 32-20 brass. For the most part I use loads listed for the 32 mag with good results. Little more umph than the 32-20, a lot less muzzle blast than the 30.

Wow! Thank you. I'll try loading up some today. I have time next week to make it out to the range. I will look into the 32-20. My problem is I just have a lot of 30 carbine brass. Probably 1000 pieces....if that is a problem.

veeman

Single-Sixer
Nothin wrong with 30 carbine brass, just watch the length. Let them grow too long and they will bind up the cylinder, trim to short and you'll have misfires or light primer strikes.

sixshot

Buckeye
Also when taper crimping the 30 carbine don't over do it, just enough so they chamber ok. Anymore than that & you start getting into problems with headspace. Its better to use a 4 die set or seat in one step & crimp in a seperate step, makes life easier with the old 30.

Dick

Chief 101

Hunter
I like the ole' .30 too, first one I bought several decades ago...didn't enjoy shooting it until I figured out I didn't like the noise so Unique powder and 90gr xtp has made it a small game destroyer...Never had to trim the brass, but someday it may happen...I used cast bullets and crimped once with no adverse effects...crimp not needed...other than maybe taper