.30 Carbine question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one eye joe

Bearcat
I have read on this forum that 7 1/2" Rugers in .45 Colt shoot factory loads high, even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. This is allegedly because the weapon begins to recoil before the bullet is completely out of the barrel. I own and shoot an 8" Python in .357 and a S&W 629 in .44 Mag with an 8 3/8" barrel. Neither of these weapons exhibit that tendency. I have recently acquired a NMBH in .30 Carbine. Should I expect to have this problem as it has a 7 1/2" barrel ? If so--what can I do to eliminate the problem. I am not a handoader, so I will be shooting Milsurp or factory ammo. What's been the experience of you .30 Carbine shooters out there in Ruger Nation. Thanks for takin' the time to respond....one eye joe

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I don't agree with the 45 Colt comments. I have a 7-1/2" NMBH in 45 Colt and it shoots factory level loads just fine. My only complaint is the canted barrel requires the rear sight to be abnormally far to the right to compensate.

TDF

Single-Sixer
All guns recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel. Laws of physics and all that. The problem is that the front sight isn't high enough. All my 45 ruger's shoot great, but I've got a pair of OM SBH's that both shoot to high for the amount of adjustment they've got in the sights. Try shooting your 30 carbine, you won't know if you've got a problem until you do. Personally I doubt you will have a problem though.

TDF

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I had a .30 carbine Blackhawk that always shot high, so I sent it back to Ruger and they installed a higher front sight. Shoots to point of aim now.
Thank you Ruger.

Joe, you won't know untill you shoot it. I have both a NM and a OM. The OM with the rear sight all the way down shoots good at 25" The NM I had the front sight milled off and a slot cut for a pinned higher sight.
Ammo used to be cheap so if your going to shoot this beauty much you should consider reloading. The chambers may be rough and this leeds to ejction problems. The biggest problem with ejection was with mil. surplus. I started shooting 32-20 out of my NM and wow ejection problems are no more. I wish I could find a NM cyl. for my OM so I can shoot the 32-20 out of it.
You can polish the cyl. with a dowel and some 400 paper wraped around it.
I love shooting this gun, very accurate and fun to shoot.
Eric RVN 66/67

Rainman

Blackhawk
I have two 7.5" guns- a 45 Bisley and 44-40 Vaquero- and both shoot exactly to point of aim. I have heard the shooting high comment lots of times before but mine don't. Maybe my hold and sight picture is different from yours but I haven't experienced your problem-yet.

One-eyed joe and eric: Thanks for your RVN service

Dan- (USA 69-75)

one eye joe

Bearcat
Hey Rainman--thank you sooo much for YOUR service, and WELCOME HOME ERIC ! I'm glad to learn that this high shooting phenomenon is not a result of the design of the 7 1/2" SA revolvers. I have been shooting handguns for over 50 yrs , but this NMBH in .30 Carbine will be my 1st centerfire SA revolver. I recently purchased a Super Single Six in .22 LR & WRM with a 9 1/2" barrel and FELL IN LOVE ! ! Have a Mark II Govt. model that I've been shooting in Bullseye competition for over 20 yrs soo I love Rugers---don't know what took me soo long to snap outta my coma and pick up a SA. I'm just gonna shoot the .30 and see what happens. I think I'm gonna be fine. If not I'll just get a taller front blade. Thank you all for your input , and I'll post a range report and let you know how I do..............one eye joe

wleoff

Bearcat
Joe, use ear muffs. I like shooting my .30 carbine Blackhawk. Recoil isn't bad but it is loud. Also puts out a good flame, especially at dusk.