.30 Carbine BH Cosmetic Flaws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Saw a .30 Carbine BH in the consignment case at the gun shop today. 7" Barrel, blued, New Model, #5109xxx. Price was $400.

The cylinder has a ring on the outside surface behind the flutes about an eighth of an inch from the back edge. Looked like something scraping while the cylinder turned, but it was turning just fine right now. Took out the cylinder and there's file marks on the bottom side of the top strap right at the bottom of the sight screw, about a quarter inch wide path going the full width.

Guess someone put in a long sight screw, turned the cylinder a couple of times and then filed down the screw while it was still in the gun.

:roll:

My first question is, What would it take to repair the bluing scraped off in the ring on the cylinder and the frame? Any alternatives to rebluing the whole cylinder or rebluing the entire gun? Exactly how bad would one of those bluing touch up pens look?

Maybe I'd be willing to live with it flawed and just enjoy shooting the heck out of it. I imagine it has a pretty hefty recoil - love that big boom and flash. I'm not a collector, I like to shoot and take apart guns, not just admire them sitting in the safe.

Next question - How do you price a cosmetically flawed gun? I was considering offering $300, seems to be in great shape except the very special turn ring on the cylinder and the naked metal on the bottom of the top strap. No other scratches, dings or dents. Feels good mechanically with a one minute inspection in the shop.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Thanks,

CL

TDF

Single-Sixer
CaliforniaLiberal":1kdxkiwp said:
I imagine it has a pretty hefty recoil - love that big boom and flash.

Big boom and flash? Yes. Wear good quality ear protection. Hefty Recoil? Nope. Very pleasant shooter.

TDF

flatgate

Hawkeye
One should be able to have the cylinder refinished locally for a fair price. Especially if you do the prep work.....

flatgate

Yes, you can polish out the cylinder, as Flatgate says, ( do ALL the 'prep' yourself) and then pay a local shop to 'dip' the part in their tanks the next time they' hot blue'...as for the underneath just touch that up with a bit of cold blue,usually works fairly well........
otherwise have the shop do it all" ( get prices,shop around...) but as noted, then this has to be "added" onto the final cost of the gun.....seems a bit high at $400 for a gun that has "issues".................

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have no experience polishing metal so I have a couple more questions.

I'm thinking that after taking out the scratch with coarser abrasive you gradually work your way up through finer and finer grit with wet/dry sandpaper and oil? Do I need to finish with fine steel wool?

The outside circumference of the cylinder is not a critical fit so making it look nice is the only goal, correct?

If I have a shop hot blue the cylinder would all of the old bluing need to be removed as part of the prep work?

Am I crazy to try this all by hand? I have a Dremel tool I'm reluctant to use for fear of screwing it all up.

I searched for 'Polishing' with a lot of less than useful results. Can you please direct me to more information about metal polishing?

Thanks a lot

CL

flatgate

Hawkeye
You don't need to "polish" it. Soak it in vinegar and the bluing will wipe off.
Get some 300 grit emery paper, in strips, and clamp the cylinder in a vice and then carefully "shine" it up like you were shining some patent leather shoes.....

Look real close at the Factory's polishing marks and follow them.

flatgate

Smee781

Single-Sixer
Flatgate I did not know that would work, I guess you learn something new everyday. As for the 30 blackhawk, I love mine, I tinker with mine also and had the barrel cut down to 5 1/2 and I love the fireball!

Thanks,