30 cal blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldgoat46

Bearcat
Went by my friendly local gun shop to pick up the 9mm speed six I bought and the owner comes out of the back with a big grin on his face and says "Now that we have your money for that one let me show you something else." the sadist pulls a pristine Blackhawk 30 M1 cal 6.5" barrel out of a paper bag. I allready have two Blackhawks, do these guns shoot well or are they pretty much just collectors items. Seems the rifle powder in the run of the mill .30 cal carbne rounds wouldn't give good performance in a pistol. what do you guys think? They are asking $400.00 for the gun

The 30 carbine is probably the most fun to shoot of my blackhawks, I just wish I could get the ammo for it like in the "olden days" when there was alot of military surplus available.
If it's an old model the price is good, for a new model used that is at the top from what I normally see.
Negotiate down to $350 or make the $400 an out-the-door price.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I love to hunt wood chucks with my 30 carbine. I found a mold for a 110 grain round nose that was made for the m1 carbine but shoots great out of my blackhawk. Steve

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
They are loud as hell and blinding when shot indoors. Other than that, they are a hoot to shoot and I wish that I could find (and afford) one of my own...

boomslang

Bearcat
I had one. I liked it. Problem is, that because they shoot rimless cartridges head spacing can be critical. Great gun if you reload. Great gun if you have a bunch of 30 carbine ammo available that has the correct case length. Not so good if you don't have a cheap source of good ammo. For this reason I got rid of mine.

Lee Martin

Hunter
I'd buy it for $400. Fast little guns that can be made even faster with a second cylinder in 30 Streaker or 300 GNR:

30Streaker.jpg

djw54

Single-Sixer
Lee Martin":ic9176m9 said:
I'd buy it for $400. Fast little guns that can be made even faster with a second cylinder in 30 Streaker or 300 GNR:

Tormenter! Any recommendation on where to find a second cylinder, or do I just need to keep my eyes open for one. I've got a nice unconverted OM, so I don't want to go back to Ruger with it.

Don

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Buy it if you are a reloader. If not, it might be more expensive to shoot than a few years ago. I love the ones I have and shoot them with my reloads, mild to wild.

djw54 - Lee's suggestion of the Brownells cylinder is a good one. I had Andy Horvath use two of them for some custom 32-20's and they are great.

ranger7

Bearcat
Have one and love it. (I also have 3 Mil Surp M1 carbines and a fair stock of ammo.) Want to hang onto the BH. If the carbines are ever declared illegal "assault weapons" maybe I can still keep the BH to shoot up the ammo.