.30 BH Carbine with Sierra 110 gr HP's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearcat bob

Bearcat
I bought a box of Sierra .30 cal .308 dia 110 gr HP #2110 to try in my Blackhawk. Anyone else try them? I made a dummy cart to get the length right and to clear my cylinder/barrel. Looks like it will be an awsome round. I was shooting my BH with just regular lead nosed .30 Carbine rounds and it was denting the 3/8" thick plate of my bullet trap. My .44 BH doesn't dent it. As soon as i get some time i will saddle up some...Bob

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Never tried the pointed SP bullets in the Ruger, did in the M1. I always use the round nosed JSP if shooting jacketed in the Rugers. Mostly I used cast lead. They surely will dent the backstop at top end loadings. Remember your ear protection. If you seat the bullet real deep, just a reminder to be careful in your loads because of the reduced case volume.

bearcat bob

Bearcat
Thanks about the deep seating. I am not planning on going any deeper than a stock load with the round nose bullets. I don't want to increase the pressure...Bob

sixshot

Buckeye
Bob, I use the Speer 100 gr plinker & it is nasty on jackrabbits & rock chucks, lots of exposed lead with a good jacket to ride the lands. Good luck with that 110 gr slug, should be excellent.

Dick