30-30 as a self defense round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
I have several lver actions in pistol calibers, an AR15, and a Mini 14 but my go to defense rifle is my totally reliable vintage M1 carbine. It’s lighter and handier than my alternatives. Maybe I should consider a Ruger 9mm carbine.
I'm kind of fond of the M1 Carbine myself.

S6sXD7i.jpg

I'm not an expert on this home defense by any means.
But those that think the OO buck is the way to go isn't what our Sheriff Dept. would agree with. We carried 870s with 4 O Buck which is 30, 22 Cal. verse 9, 30 Cal in a
2 3/4" 12 Gage. We qualified with the 870 with the 4 O and slugs at 50 yards. Both pretty impressive IMHO
Also the round that will not have as much penetration into your kids room for example is a 12 Ga. with bird shot. It will do a number up close and end the fight.

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
with 4 O Buck which is 30, 22 Cal. verse 9, 30 Cal in a 2 3/4" 12 Gage
I don't know about '4 O' Buck, but #4 Buck is 21 0.24" round balls versus 9 0.33 round balls in 00 Buck. 00 Buck is a heavier load by projectile mass, which may or may not matter for one's application.

I have seen where people used to create what are essentially frangible slugs by filling the shot cup of a bird shot load with paraffin wax, or by scoring the shotshell below the shot cup. That seems to me to be a relatively effective way of creating a load that is "neighborhood friendly." Any buckshot load certainly is not.

Might point new gun owners to the Box O'Truth website, provided it's still maintained. Lots of good data on load penetration there, if one wants to learn.

I don't know about '4 O' Buck, but #4 Buck is 21 0.24" round balls versus 9 0.33 round balls in 00 Buck. 00 Buck is a heavier load by projectile mass, which may or may not matter for one's application.

I have seen where people used to create what are essentially frangible slugs by filling the shot cup of a bird shot load with paraffin wax, or by scoring the shotshell below the shot cup. That seems to me to be a relatively effective way of creating a load that is "neighborhood friendly." Any buckshot load certainly is not.

Might point new gun owners to the Box O'Truth website, provided it's still maintained. Lots of good data on load penetration there, if one wants to learn.
Yea I had a crs moment and didn't want to look up the numbers.
22 and 30 Caliber diameter is close enough for me.
  • Number 4 Buckshot is the smallest buckshot load available for 12 gauge shotguns. Each number 4 buckshot pellet is approximately .24 caliber, and each 2.75-inch shell holds around 24 pellets.

Zonker5

Bearcat
My go to home defense gun is a semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun. I can hold the stock under my arm and shoot it with one hand leaving the other hand free. I load with #4 steel shot,

No over penetration and pin point accuracy is not required.

caryc

Hawkeye
My go to home defense gun is a semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun. I can hold the stock under my arm and shoot it with one hand leaving the other hand free. I load with #4 steel shot,

No over penetration and pin point accuracy is not required.
My under the bed gun is a sawed off (legal 18 1/8") side by side double twelve with 00 buck. I live on 5 acres. No kids or neighbors to worry about.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
unless they still make Glaser safety slugs for revolvers.

Yes , yes they do . Been owned and distributed by Cor Bon for several years .

Along that theme , the Mag Safe is a better round .

With this class of round , there is a major shift of POI , even at close ranges . You really need to shoot a few to find out . ( I mean up to a foot difference @ 7 yds .)

Latest posts