30-30 as a self defense round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merle1948

Buckeye
vito said:
I don't claim to have any real expertise on rifles, but a neighbor asked me the following question so I thought I would ask it here: is the 30-30 round a good one for self defense? I told him that since I rely on a 9mm round from a handgun, a 30-30 round fired from a lever action rifle is most certainly much more potent and should be more than adequate as a self defense round. He had stated that he wanted a rifle, not a pistol for general home defense, and was uncomfortable with the idea of an AR type rifle, mostly because of what it looks like. He said he was considering a lever action Henry rifle. I told him that although a rifle was not as easy to manipulate in close quarters as a pistol, it should be more than adequate in stopping power and that Henry has a good reputation for quality. Any thoughts or things I should add the next time I talk to this neighbor?
No matter what caliber is chosen, verify you can find some ammo...

kmoore

Buckeye
If we could ever learn what the guy buys and has for the next 20 years. I bet he never fires it anyway or uses it in a SD event. A baseball bat would have saved him the expense and trouble of buying a rifle and 1, 20 round box of ammo.
I mentioned this before, if you had met someone new everyday for say 39 years while in police work and talked with many victims of crime or just had folks tell you about a handgun, shotgun or rifle they keep around just in case. When questioned as I did, few ever shot the gun they had hidden away for SD.
On this forum I take it for granted that most on here really do shoot their guns for many reasons. There are many more that never do or even want to.
I beleive this guy is that type of person. Wants a gun for SD, but not a black gun. A rifle, not a handgun. Why not ask what is the best, he should want the best to protect him and his family, not picking one over another because of color or function.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
kmoore {Wants a gun for SD, but not a black gun. A rifle, not a handgun. Why not ask what is the best, he should want the best to protect him and his family, not picking one over another because of color or function.]

Excellent explanation.

eveled

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
powder smoke said:
Why not a shotgun? 410 with buck shot will be a stopper! ps

HI,

And Henry makes one in a side gate lever action!

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/side-gate-lever-action-410/

Rick C

I hope they come out with a 12 gauge.

toysoldier

Hunter
For someone who isn't well-acquainted with firearms, a long arm is a safer choice, and something he could more easily learn to shoot effectively than a pistol. A 20 gauge pump would be less punishing than a 12, and still very effective. Stick with 2 3/4" shells. A 16" lever gun in .38/357 is also an excellent choice, but make sure it feeds .38's if you go that way.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
I'm thinking my Taurus Judge Magnum is just about right for home defense. 410/45LC. Winchester PDX1 Defender should work well. The Judge is easier to handle in tight spaces. L you can mix 410 & 45LC in the cylinder also.

caryc

Hawkeye
I don't claim to have any real expertise on rifles, but a neighbor asked me the following question so I thought I would ask it here: is the 30-30 round a good one for self defense? I told him that since I rely on a 9mm round from a handgun, a 30-30 round fired from a lever action rifle is most certainly much more potent and should be more than adequate as a self defense round. He had stated that he wanted a rifle, not a pistol for general home defense, and was uncomfortable with the idea of an AR type rifle, mostly because of what it looks like. He said he was considering a lever action Henry rifle. I told him that although a rifle was not as easy to manipulate in close quarters as a pistol, it should be more than adequate in stopping power and that Henry has a good reputation for quality. Any thoughts or things I should add the next time I talk to this neighbor?
Yeah, how about telling him that the 30-30 rifle round might just go through his wall and through his neighbors wall killing someone.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Reminds me of the COVID panic and police defund crap scare of recent years when all the gun haters bought guns. . If you have no idea what you want, know 0 abot guns, or seeking advice on what I need to defend my family...then start with a 22 to gain some knowledge and experience if you are serious. Makes a smaller hole when you shoot your self in the foot. The neighbor/friend in origional post probably will not be able to throw down on a crook at the critical moment anyway.

protoolman

Hunter
I see someone resurected this subject. I still think the 30-30 is a fine choice. Maybe not in a densely populated area or with a lot of kids in the house but worthy of consideration in a single family neighborhood with 2 people in the house or the kids upstairs for instance. Any round " powerful enough" would have overpenetration potential including a .357 carbine. In a big city apartment building I'd go with a .410 shotgun, or Taurus Judge unless they still make Glaser safety slugs for revolvers.

wolfsong

Staff member
"He had stated that he wanted a rifle, not a pistol for general home defense, and was uncomfortable with the idea of an AR type rifle, mostly because of what it looks like."

So he's more concerned with the appearance of a self defense firearm than he is about the actual particulars of caliber/penetration/ballistics etc. I'm not so sure he's ready for ANY type of firearm. Seems like a good opportunity to enlighten him as to just what the AR-15 platform is.

kmoore

Buckeye
I am betting no gun was ever purchased, he talked himself out of having a firearm in the house or a family member stood there ground with NO GUNs in this house. . I hope I am wrong and he got a firearm, learned how to use it, practiced with it reads up about SD laws and cases. Then liked the gun so much he has gotten another firearm to add to his SD inventory.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
"He had stated that he wanted a rifle, not a pistol for general home defense, and was uncomfortable with the idea of an AR type rifle, mostly because of what it looks like."

So he's more concerned with the appearance of a self defense firearm than he is about the actual particulars of caliber/penetration/ballistics etc. I'm not so sure he's ready for ANY type of firearm. Seems like a good opportunity to enlighten him as to just what the AR-15 platform is.
Point him to the kitchen supply and show him the butter knives. 🍴

And If he is some old guy, he might have grown up watching westerns on tv. There were plenty of lever action rifles on those shows. More so than AR-15’s. Perhaps he felt more comfortable with something from his generation, than something more modern. This is probably why he was asking about the 30-30 caliber as well.

Still the question about 30-30 being good for self defense is on the table. As many have pointed out, it’s probably not the best considering there might be other people in the next room, separated by thin dry wall.

kmoore

Buckeye
Kevin makes a good point. If your not really a gun person. You see lever guns on TV and you have heard of the old trusty 30-30 caliber. Some think all western guns were 30-30 Winchester model 1894 or 94s. Never mind there were many different lever rifles and at least one shotgun made by made in many calibers. Never mind the 30-30 came after all those pioneer wagons got to Oregon. On several occasions I have been a the gun club shooting a 45-70 1886, 357 1982, or the 94 in 30-30. Some have commented on all those 30-30s, they have no idea.
30-30 and the name Winchester are synonymous for a lever action gun just as many non gun people think any black rifle or shotgun is a AR15 that is the most powerful deadly, military rifle ever made.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Definitely a stopper. But a bit much in a residential setting. The bullet will enter and exit the target, and any walls behind it, including exiting the outer wall of the structure.

FWIW the Federal 125 jhp .30-30 has gel penetration similar to defensive handgun JHP .

But yeah , unless it's dual purpose for hunting , or his anticipated Defensive distances are 150 yds , a pistol cal levergun would be more better .

ammo dave

Bearcat
I have several lver actions in pistol calibers, an AR15, and a Mini 14 but my go to defense rifle is my totally reliable vintage M1 carbine. It’s lighter and handier than my alternatives. Maybe I should consider a Ruger 9mm carbine.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
And If he is some old guy, he might have grown up watching westerns on tv. There were plenty of lever action rifles on those shows. More so than AR-15’s. Perhaps he felt more comfortable with something from his generation, than something more modern. This is probably why he was asking about the 30-30 caliber as well.

Still the question about 30-30 being good for self defense is on the table. As many have pointed out, it’s probably not the best considering there might be other people in the next room, separated by thin dry wall.
And sometimes you have to take baby steps. Keep in mind that people are bombarded with the AR-15 are evil message and then the maxim if you repeat a lie enough it becomes regarded as truth. That would make a non shooter hesitant to bring home an AR-15 for fear of adding on to the neighbors' negative reaction(s) when it's discovered he has a firearm. After all, the average proletarian lefty looks at level actions as quaint "cowboy rifles" and not all that dangerous.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
The 30-30 would be great for self-defense - outdoors. SInce I value my house and it's contents. a smaller caliber handgun would be better for indoors. Also, a long gun such as this can get a bit awkward rounding indoor corners.

Latest posts