30.06 m77 tang safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

miniman

Single-Sixer
this m77 followed me home today s/n 73-884-- at the moment i know nothing there were very few rounds through it the bluing is very nice.i have not shot it yet are they accurate good shooters did some side jobs and this was how i got paid.any thing you can tell me would be greatly app. :D

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Mine's hunting accurate. I'm not going to tell you it will put 3 bullets in an inch at 100 yards because I personally believe there are far more sub moa hunting rifles on these internet message boards than actually exist. :wink:
But with the right load (a charge of IMR-4350 behind a Hornady 165-grain SPBT) my M-77 tang safety .30-06 is accurate enough for mule deer out as far as I've ever attempted to shoot one. And with a half century of mule deer hunting behind me, I've shot mule deer a long ways off. I've missed a few too, some that were close enough that I shouldn't have :lol:
At any rate, I've had my tang safety M-77 30-06 since sometime in the early '80s, I think, and it was slightly used when I bought it. Mostly I've used it for mule deer, but I HAVE taken one black bear, several coyotes, and a couple of elk with it.
I've never done a thing with the bedding, nor the barrel crown. There's just the slightest amount of pressure on the barrel right at the stock's forend tip, and that seems to work. The rifle's trigger is the same as it was when I got it. I've never measured it, but it's probably between 3 and 4 pounds and has a minimal amount of creep - plenty good enough for a hunting rifle.
My M-77 wears a 2X7 Leopold scope. I'm not sure what "VX-__" model it is, nor what its objective diameter is, but it's not great big. Like the century old .30-06 cartridge itself, it's not flashy, it just works.
I don't have the exact data right in front of me, but like I said, for my all-around hunting load, I use a charge of IMR-4350 behind a Hornady 165-grain SPBT. The muzzle velocity is a little better than 2800fps - chronographed. I seat the bullets 1/32" off the lands, which in that old M-77 of mine, leaves the finished rounds so long they'll barely fit in the magazine. Some handloaders might concider that detrimental. I think it's perfect.
I've have had, and I have right now, other big game rifles that I like just as well. In fact, right now I happen to have a custom rifle on order for my 62nd birthday present to myself. But that old M-77 of mine will be with me 'till I'm though. It's never failed me, and it holds too many memories for me to ever let it go.:D

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have one and it shoots well. I use IMR4064 or Win760 with 150gr Nosler bullets as they (powders) gave me the best speeds over my chronograph and excellant accuracy in this and another rem rifle.

miniman

Single-Sixer
thanks for the replys. im glad i accepted his offer cause im really liken this gun. tomarrow i will contact ruger for the recall on the overtravel screw and a manual. it appears to be in like new cond and feels real good in my hands.i am getting a cow elk tag this comming season and im feeling pretty good about filling my tag . going to try and post some picks shortly thanks.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
The long-time standard loads for the .30-06 are 57gr of 4350 for the 150gr bullet and 55gr of 4350 for the 180gr bullet. These using cup-and-core bullets and Nosler Partitions. Every .30-06 I've owned shot well with those loads. Be sure to work up to those since every rifle is different.

58gr of H414 or W760 with the Barnes 150gr TSX is also a very good load in a couple of my rifles. Not a max load in the book, but work up to what ever your rifle likes. This load and bullet is a very good all-round load for deer and elk if you want to "keep it simple".

I've never had any trouble getting 1.5MOA out of M77s, and MOA or better out of most of them. A couple I've had to glass-bed, but many are still stock.

The tang safety models are very easy to do a trigger job on and that usually helps for shooting groups.

Almost all of my M77s wear Leupold 2x7s or 3x9s. They give good eye-relief and of course perform well in the field.

Keep us posted on how it shoots.

pete44ru

Hunter
The two most accurate Rugers I ever owned/shot were both .30-06 RSI's - one a #1 that I recently sold to a forum member, the other a tang safety M77.

Both would stay well under an inch @ 100yds with factory ammo, and zero mods - other than mounting a scope.

miniman

Single-Sixer
I got the gun apart giving it a polish job and a good cleaning will reasemble and give you a range report. rounded up some rem 150 gr sp and will make up some hand loads and see how she shoots cant wait.

miniman

Single-Sixer
got the overtravel screw kit from ruger and an owners manual today no charge great company to deal with very helpful even though the guns over 20 years old.now that i have loaded some ammo and got the info i needed will head for the range this weekend.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've had several, R, RL,RLS, RS, in 06. Still have two, and a few others in other calibers (22 to 416). All tang safety models except the 22LR. Sure wish they had made one in tang safety. My 06's will put 180 grn partitions into 3/4 inch at one hundred yards with all the Rldr 22 I can get underneath it. Factory stuff usually does about 1 1/4 to 1/1/2. My 22-250 will do 1 1/2 at three hundred yards with factory ammo. It is truly amazing. The thirty-five caliber and under rifles are all factory, except the forend pressure is relieved. Great hunting rifles and classically beautiful. One of the things I really like is that they shoot to the same point off the bench, off sticks, or with a sling, something important in a hunting rifle.
Bfly

miniman

Single-Sixer
range report the gun shoots 1and1/4 inch with factory ammo win 165 sp and winchester 150sp shoots an inch and handloads 165spbt also shoot into an inch.you guys were right these are very sweet shooting guns am going to change out the red recoil pad it does not due a very good job and its awfolly hard.cant wait for elk season going to try it out on coyotes next weekend.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Great pay for a little work! I have yet to be paid in guns yet, but thats usually where my side job money goes anyway.

I only have one M77, a HB .25-06, it shoots under an inch at 100 yards and has taken more antelope and mule deer than I could ever count. It was my grandfather and fathers, its retired now as my MKII gets most of the work. Sounds like you have a great shooter!