3 Screw Blackhawk 7.5" Barrel 45 "Marked"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpopper

Bearcat
Hi all,

My grandfather, who passed away last year, was a Ruger collector. I am helping sell his collection (what wasn't included in the will) at the request of my grandmother. My grandpa kept a pretty good inventory of what he had, so this description is straight from his notes: Ruger 3 Screw Blackhawk 7.5" Barrel, 45, Marked. Serial is 45-06291. In terms of markings, it is stamped 'X' on bottom of grip, and stamped 'Z' on bottom of the trigger guard. I don't currently have any pictures of it or I'd include some of those. Can anyone tell me about this gun and what its rough value might be? I believe it has the factory box, and has never been shot.

Another gun he has that we're trying to find info on is a Ruger Old Army RCA Collectors Series. Chambered in 45 Ball, serial is 145-87396. Also appears to never have been shot, not sure if we have the box or not but most of his collection does.

Thank you in advance for any insights you're able to provide!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

That OM .45 was made in 1971.

The "X" stamped on the bottom of the grip, as well as the "Z" on the bottom of the trigger guard are not factory markings.

Boxes; If you have the original box for the .45,, excellent. But the fun begins if you have the brown cardboard "bookwrap" shipper that the box would have been in. On the brown bookwrap,, there would be a stamped info section; It would list the gun, the model and most importantly,, was the only place that Ruger would put the "X" which denotes the gun was a convertible. Meaning it would have had a spare cylinder in .45 acp.
It was Ruger's way of marking them and when placed in their warehouse, the shipper would have; "BKH-45X" if it had the spare cylinder. The actual boxes were not marked.

My suspicions are that someone used their own initials or a code to mark "their" gun by putting the "X" & the "Z" on the gun.

On the Old Army. Made in 1996.
Now it gets interesting.
There have been a few different RCA collector Old Army guns over the decades.
You didn't mention if your gun has any engraving or not.
That's very important.
From what I can uncover in the Red Eagle News Exchange Guide,, in 1997, there was to be a run of 25th anniversary of the RCA,,, of 2000 guns. HOWEVER,, apparently , there were only approximately "less than 25" built.
It would have; "Floral engraving on the top strap and frame, bottom of the trigger guard with the RCA logo, Ruger Collectors Association bordered with engraved Ruger emblem, and scrollwork. A 24 Kt plated front sight, white Micarta grips with RCA logo.

If your Old Army has these features,, (and with the serial number you provided,) it's possible you have one of these guns.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've noticed over the years that having a 'collector' giving you a value (voluntarily) might be difficult. I'm not a collector, nor am I very knowledgeable about values, however, I would guess that the .45 Blackhawk, with the original box would be worth at a minimum $1000 (especially if it has the spare .45ACP cylinder). It could go for a lot more especially if you put it on a major auction site like:
or
These auction sites typically have a section where you can reference auctions that have closed; there you can see what the final price the gun sold for.
Hope this helps,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
My apologies on lot adding a potential value.

As with anything, a lot of value is about condition, condition, condition. Rarity is a big factor, and again, condition, condition, condition.
HONEST,, condition appraisal is best done by using the NRA grading method. If you get a copy of "The Blue Book" it has a section on grading condition.

Both guns are new enough to where there are "As New In Box" condition exists. (ANIB) The RENE price Guide,, says a plain, (no spare cylinder) .45 Colt, ANIB condition, as described would be about $810.00. That's w/o the box. A convertible, w/o the box,, $965.00. A box will add about $125.00.

As for the Old Army,, the devil is in the details. We'd need much more info, and especially if it's one of the ones like I described. It wasn't mentioned, but is it a blued gun or a stainless gun?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The RCA Old Army, with that serial number, would almost have to be one of the estimated 25 made for RCA 25th anniversary that Ty mentions, but it is just a touch lower than the lowest known SN which is stated as 145-88567 (but RENE only has 8 serial numbers identified so there may certainly be some lower numbered guns).

The info is sketchy and RENE has this to say:

"Reportedly 2,000 were to be produced but it is estimated that less than 25 were actually made. Known s/n's 145-88567 ("0479 of 2000"), 145-88583 ("0458 of 2000"), 145-89240 ("0427 of 2000), 145-89334 ("0003 of 2000"), 145-89972 ("024 of 250"), 145-90105 ("023 of 250) and 145-90949 ("016 of 100") and 145-90975 ("063 of 250")."

The truly weird thing being the X of Y numbering where "Y" changes from 2000 to 250 to 100. Apparently they didn't sell as well as planned and production plans were cut back a couple times. Why the earlier number guns had 4 digit "X" numbers is curious but might be related to people ordering the gun that matched their RCA member ID. Ruger did not do the engraving so it seems RCA bought some randomly serial numbered production guns and sent them out for the custom work.

jpopper

Bearcat
Hi all. Really appreciate the info. I got some pictures of the RCA Old Army today. It seems to match the description provided here. What do you think?
IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg

jpopper

Bearcat
A gentleman who collects Rugers purchased a lot of guns from us today (not the RCA), but he believes they ended up making about 100 of these. Not sure where he got that info from, but that was his estimate. It's a nice piece for sure.