3-Ring Circus Cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cas6969

Buckeye
I got that beat.

lin2.jpg

The ol' front grip frame screw too long trick.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
cas":29ca2jmi said:
I got that beat.
The ol' front grip frame screw too long trick.

That's pertty funny! :lol: Not what's goin' on with this cylinder though, 'cause this one has three lines and none of 'em are as far forward as your line. If that was a fluted cylinder, the line would be half-way down the flutes.

I also thought it was possibly a couple little burrs sticking up out of the end of the slot cut in the cylinder frame where the cylinder latch comes through, but two rear lines (so close they look like one line), are too far rearward.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
"These have had little to no use, LIKE NEW!!. I've shot these for 2 matches only.", sez the seller. Those three rings are deeper than the turn line. And the Vaquero with the 3 rings has less of a turn line than the bottom one. They have "half-cocks and trigger stops", would that have anything to do with it? But they don't both have the extra lines.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
contender":2qu7zh4f said:
Yeah,,, right,,,!

That's what I think about alot of the supposed "NIB" or "only factory fired"... I see. Action jobs, scopes mounted up, sights switched out, etc... "Yeah,,, right,,," is what comes to my mind too.

I said so here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=63407
and got "Modifications and a turn line don't make a gun "fired". The only thing that causes that is dropping the hammer on a loaded chamber", but to me, that's wear - not NEW like it came from the factory.

Anyway, I did ask the seller what the source of the three extra lines was and I'll let y'all know when I get a reply back. I kinda DOUBT it came from Ruger with the three extra lines though! :)

Redstick

Single-Sixer
So the seller sez,
"The rings were on the guns when I bought them new. It was the last pair they had and 4 5/8 barrel lengths were impossible to find. So nothing on the gun is causing it, the cylinder lock is not even in that area, so not sure if something from factory or store handling. I hadn't really noticed it. The guns were fully gone over by the best Ruger smith in the country (Wes Flowers) and they have had done everything to them as if they were Wes's own guns and function flawlessly. The only reason I'm selling is that I prefer stainless and just found a set that I need to now spend $600 on action work with Wes for."

Still no idea of the cause of the extra 3 rings... :?:

DGW1949

Hunter
Aint doubting the seller's word, but it's obvious that them rings happened while the cylinder was being rotated.
Coulda been a lot of different things but I'm guessing that it was either dirt embedded inside a holster, or possably exposed hardware inside a holster, or both.....and (maybe) in conjunction with some fast-draw type playing around which involved cocking the gun before drawing it.

Of course that's just a guess.
But one thing's for certain.... It aint something wrong with the gun or it would be obvious....and it would still be doing it.

DGW

J Miller

Blackhawk
I looked at that picture several times. The cylinders have much more surface and edge blue wear than the rest of the guns.
My guess is those cylinders are not original to those guns.
I'd bet the scarred one came from a BH that had been D&T'd for a scope and the scope screws did the scaring.

I wouldn't touch those two with somebody elses money.

JMHO

Joe

DGW1949

Hunter
J Miller":eue65a86 said:
I looked at that picture several times. The cylinders have much more surface and edge blue wear than the rest of the guns.
I'd bet the scarred one came from a BH that had been D&T'd for a scope and the scope screws did the scaring.

JMHO

Joe

Yep, you could be right.
And you're dern-sure right about that last part.
I've done bought all the "shooter grade", put-together, parts-guns that I can afford to fix. I suspect that you have too....huh?

Aint saying the OP's two are bad guns.
Just saying that it's best to buy the gun, not the story.

DGW

Redstick

Single-Sixer
J Miller":1jr2cj7e said:

JMHO

Joe

I think we have a winner here folks!!! :D

Did you also notice the almost non-existent turn line on the one with the three lines? The bottom one has more of a turn line. And those three lines are much deeper than the turn line.

I'd bet you're right aboiut the scope base screws that done it, 'cause I've seen that before and that's EXACTLY how it looks! :D Good Job!, J Miller! :D

Latest posts