3" GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bera1947

Bearcat
I bought a 3" SS full lug GP100 with the original grips before joining this forum and see almost no posts regarding how anyone feels about this gun, how it compares to the 4" in general and with specifics. I am feeling like the lone ranger. I like it so far, but have had limited range time. Do I have any company out there :?:

WESHOOT2

Hunter
A friend, a cop, wears one of his 3" GPs in his bellyband.
He competes in USPSA using a 3" GP.

Rest assured they are superb guns (but for me, I prefer the 4" for its adjustable rear sight).

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I love mine. I bought it 'cause I liked my SP101 for carry, so I wanted the nearest thing to it that I could shoot in IDPA (where you need 6 shots). Mine's not full lug, but that's not much difference on a three incher.

epj

Bearcat
Until recently I had an older 3" with half lug and fixed sights. I really liked the gun except for the fixed sights. If I could have had one in that configuration with adjustable (and interchangeable) sights, I think it might be close to perfection. I have too much difficulty getting a rapid sight picture with the smaller fixed sights. I swapped it even for a 4", and immediately added a fiber optic front and V notch rear sight. After a complete IBOK trigger job, it compares fairly well to my Smith 686+. The Smith is still a little smoother, but it cost more than twice as much. I have about $300 in the GP, and it's a LOT of gun for that price. If you've got young eyes and the fixed sights work for you, the 3" has a lot going for it too. There were apparently a few adjustable sight 3 inchers made, but they seem to be quite scarce. The new 3" seems to have the same grip as the 4". If you can find some of the old style compact grips the early 3" model came with, it would be easier to carry concealed. Looks a lot better too.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I had a brand new one... ordered an El Paso IWB holster... the combo had so much girth I could barely button my britches.

It went by-by when I got my hands on an SP101 DAO ... If I were to get a GP100 again It would be the 4 or 5 inch model carried in an OWB holster.

A great gun the 3" GP was... but the SP101 disappeared where every I hid it on me.

operator

Bearcat
Anyone know how rare a gp100 3" with adjustable sights would be? Mine is the only one I have seen and I got it off Gun Broker about 2 years ago. Operator
100_0111.jpg

L-Frame

Bearcat
3 inch Gp's with the original smaller grips are my single favorite handguns ever. Mine has a XS Standard dot night sight in front. People complain about how much bulkier the Gp's are than the older sixes. In my opinion the fixed sight GP's, in either 3 or 4 inch, are ergonomic and elegant.

Blackhawk

Bearcat
I sold this one to a forum member, a couple of years ago. I was able to obtain a factory letter stating the production was sold to a Government agency. They wouldn't say which one.
3inchGP100.jpg

bera1947

Bearcat
Mine has fixed sights, but I feel it will perform in a SD situation if necessary. Can't beat the classis grips.

OldCowHand

Bearcat
The balance and swing weight of the 3" are ideal for its intended purpose as an equalizer in social situations. I like the 4" fine as a range shooter, but the 3" is the perfect combat revolver.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I've been feeling the itch for 3" revolver for some time. I can't shoot my j-frame well at all (though one could argue that beyond 5' doesn't matter with a gun like that), and 4" revolvers are just too big for IWB carry.

Unfortunately, most 3"-ers I've seen just seem to bulky. Maybe some day.

-- Sam

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I've got a 3" stainless GP100 that I purchased used. I found the compact grip to be a little small for my large hands, so I replaced them with the full size old style factory grips. Using a Concealco IWB holster in the appendix position, I found that I can conceal it as easily as a SP101 under a loose fitting dark T-Shirt or a loose-fitting Hawaiian shirt. I later acquired a 4" GP100 with fixed sights that I now carry using the 3" holster. I shoot the 4" a little better, and being a large guy, find no difference in carry between the 3" and 4" models. If I wore the holster behind the hip, I would carry the 3" because of the shorter draw length. With the appendix carry, I don't notice the difference.