3"GP100 to 5-shot .45acp ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Could this be done?......................................... should it be done? :?

Just wondering! :roll:

bub

Single-Sixer
Knuckles, I suppose it could be done with enough money, but what would be the point? In order to eject rimless rounds, you would have to use a moon clip and, AKAIK, no one makes a 5 rd .45 moon clip, so. You would likely be stuck punching out the empties with a pencil or some such. If you could come up with a way to eject the empties, it would be an interesting "fun gun", though!

Bub

Knuckles

Buckeye
"Taurus makes a five-shot 45 ACP revolver that uses a clip."

Whew!..................... thanks! :wink:

Update; Hold on!.................... I didn't find it on there web sight... hmmmm' :?

Hammer

Single-Sixer
Can't speak to their website or catalog.

But know where there is a vault with one in it.

Not for sale.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
How does the cylinder and frame compare to say, an L frame S&W? I ask cause they make 5 shot 44 spls on the L frame and I believe it's max caliber for the cyl size.

bub

Single-Sixer
I stand corrected. I checked out the Taurus website and, under "Accessories"-"Revolver" are the M455 moon clips. $9.00/5 clips.

Bub

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Smiff makes a few 45acp double-action six shooters.

model 22 4" (classic)
model 25 3" (classic)
model 325 nightguard (scandium) 2"
model 325 Thunder Rance (scandium) 4"
model 625JM 4"

...Jimbo

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I would love to see a GP-100 in .45 ACP!!!
I have a 625-2 S&W that I shoot .45 Auto Rim with speedloaders
instead of using .45 ACP with Moon clips.
Terry

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Taurus made a 5 shot 45 acp in the Tracker model, but it looks like they had problems with it. Didn't look like anything a little tinkering couldn't cure, but was probably costing them too much in warranty money. They also made one in a 5 shot 45 colt. Wished I had known about them before they became discontinued. Either one would have been sweet. You don;t see them on the used market much.

I think a 45acp GP100 would be quite cool.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Just about anything can be done given enough money, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it other than the cool factor.
S&W makes one in Sc and a couple in steel that would cheaper in the long run, IMHO.

Hammer

Single-Sixer
While most of my pistols are Rugers, Colts, and S&W...

Have a few Taurus snubnose revolvers.

44 Special
44 Magnum
45 ACP
45 Colt

Have had no problem with any of these.

Knuckles

Buckeye
batmann":jmfvn7md said:
Just about anything can be done given enough money, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it other than the cool factor.
S&W makes one in Sc and a couple in steel that would cheaper in the long run, IMHO.

I understand your point,... but the GP100 is such a good platform, I just thought they (Ruger) could do more with it caliber wise, especially the 3 & 4-inch models.

Ruger would sell revolvers in .45acp... and the .45acp does not need to be on a big Redhawk frame.

Maybe even the LCR in .45acp... something you can reasonably carry concealed.
They're not too far off with the Montado... just a "pinch" too heavy,... it is easily stashed on the body,... it just has a tendency to make my britches droop. :shock:

madd-trapper

Bearcat
Why use a rimless cartidge in a revolver? Seems it would be a pain with the moon clips. Why not just go with a .45 colt instead of a 45 acp? Ive never owned a revolver that uses semi auto cartidges so I was just wondering why.

Knuckles

Buckeye
madd-trapper":2qf1m0fx said:
Why use a rimless cartidge in a revolver? Seems it would be a pain with the moon clips. Why not just go with a .45 colt instead of a 45 acp? Ive never owned a revolver that uses semi auto cartridges so I was just wondering why.

Ruger has the Redhawk... I was thinking of the GP-100 design only for CCW reasons.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
So hammer has all the big bore snubbies I see :)

mad-trapper, the moon clips work like a speed loader not only for loading but for ejecting. Also the 45acp has a large selection of self defense rounds off the shelf. Some folks don;t like to use reloads for self defense and others just don't reload.

But I would take a 5 shot 45 colt snubby too :)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye

Dale53

Blackhawk
A .45 ACP revolver with full moon clips has the potential of the fastest reload of ANY revolver. You do have to work at it but believe me it is a most viable offering.

I flat out LOVE my two 625's and shoot them more than any other revolver that I own (and that is a bunch).

Dale53