3" GP100 opinions needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking about buying one and want to know if it's worth it or not? I currently own a 3" SP101 and while I like shooting 38 spl in it, it hurts my hand too much with 357's, even with the Hogue grip. I recently sold a 4" GP100 because it was just too big and heavy for my taste. However it was much more pleasant shooting magnum loads through it than the SP. Is the 3" GP at least as accurate as the 3" SP? How is the recoil and muzzle flash compared to the SP or 4" GP? Does the 3" GP balance in the hand and point as naturally as the SP? I thought the 4" GP was a little nose heavy and tended to be pointing down when I raised it up to eye level but the 3" SP sights line up perfectly for me. If you had to choose between the 3" SP and the 3" GP for HD and target shooting only, since I can't carry where I live, which would you choose? I would like to see some pictures of your 3" GP's if possible? Comparison pictures of the 3" GP and 3" SP would really be helpful. Thanks.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I would love to have a speed or service-six, especially with the 2 3/4" barrel. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one for sale locally in years. The only dealer near me that does transfers charges $120, there's also the fact that most online dealers won't sell to Ca.

357phase

Single-Sixer
I'm guessing the 125gr is still going to shoot just a little low.I've had my 3" for awhile now and just discovered it's great for carry with the right holster.If I could post pictures of SP and GP I would but not sure how.The GP has more beef so that will help with recoil plus you have an extra round.Sights line up perfect but so did my 4" fixed sight.There seems to be some difference in the fixed 4" and the adj 4" for some reason.You can also put the compact 3" grips on the adj 4".Just bought a very nice set of stag inserts for my 3" and thought about getting an extra set of rubber grips but can't find any(I wish the hell that Ruger would fix something that ain't broke :x ).The compact grips fit perfect to me.Not much help but I believe you will like the 3" if the 4 was a little to hefty.The 4" difference I noticed was probably due to the grips.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
Are the grip inserts inter-changeable between the SP101 and the compact GP100 grips? Are the compact GP grips bigger (more hand filling or longer) than the SP grips?

maxpress

Buckeye
your not going to see much difference between the gp in 4" and 3". 1 inch a barrel length is only going to make it peek out below jacket lin a little less. i think the "feel" of shooting the sp and gp are totally different though. alot more gun in the hand with the gp but it wont be any less than your 4" if you didnt like it.

i have an sp101 in 3" and a speed six in 4" and couldnt be happier with the combo.

NCMountains

Bearcat
I can't recall where I read the post comparing the 4" to the 3" but the write up essentially stated they were identical in ability. You do get a little better accuracy at distance form the 4" barrel I would say.

I too struggled with that dilemma but thought the 4" a better compromise for me.

Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong with the 3" version.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Looks to me like you are a perfect candidate for a Pre-Lock S&W 65 round butt, 3 inch barrel. Only problem with this gun is that it is really a full time +P 38 Special (any bullet weight) with a limited ability to fire 357s of the 158 grain variets only, NOT 125s, which can crack the forcing cone in less than 100 rounds. If you can live with that ammo restriction, this is a great light weight, compact 357. If you cannot live with tthat restriction, get a 2 3/4 inch Security Six or Speed Six, which should outlast the S&W by a factor of 3 and has no ammo restriction.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
hittman":2rwy4mop said:
I haven't owned both but; maybe a Security / Service or Speed Six would be a good compromise.

If the GP 4" was too big and heavy, the Six Series might be a good in-between.
I would have to agree with hittman. A three inch GP100 in California cost around $575.00. I can fine good Security/Service or Speed Sixes for around $375.00 to $400.00. There is not a big differences in the two as far as strength. The Security Six series will handle 357s equally as well as the GP100. I had a Security Six Stainless Steel 2.75 inch barrel and it was a great revolver. I still never used full power 357s in it. My choice was the 357 125g Remington Golden Saber HP. Less recoil and nearly as effective as the full power 125G. Its your choice but I feel the Security Six is a better value and nearly the same revolver.
Good luck,
roaddog28

357phase

Single-Sixer
Compact GP are just a little longer and wider than the SP.Inserts may interchange.I just bought some stag inserts for an SP from Sack Petterson and had him drill holes out for the grip panel locator for my 3" GP compact.If wood is your thing,41Magnum has some nice looking grip inserts.Both these fellows are forum members here.May want to do a search.I've saw several posts that had SP and GP laying side by side.

357phase":3aj6qfob said:
Compact GP are just a little longer and wider than the SP. .I've saw several posts that had SP and GP laying side by side.

Here:
RugerGP100andSP101ammotile1.jpg

GP Cylinder vs. SP Cylinder:
DSC02063.jpg

And just for kicks, Redhawk, GP, SP:
GPSPBOX.jpg

Me? I carry the GP no problem. It soaks up full power recoil better than the SP (I owned a 3" SP once) and I get an extra round of Tree-Fitty Seven.

Can't beat that!

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replys guys. Those are great pictures Gary, just what I wanted to see. I just got off the phone with my local pusher and asked him to order me one from Davidsons. They still have a few left if anyone else is interested in getting one.

357phase

Single-Sixer
My blued 4" fixed sight full lug came from Davidson's as did my blued 3" full lug.I sold the 4" and wished I hadn't.Bought for $330.00 each when they had the 99+ in stock sales.Wish I could turn back time :(

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I just ordered a set of compact Lett grips from Brownells for my forthcoming 3" GP100, unfortunately they don't come with inserts though. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Holly inserts from someone like 41magnum for them. I tried searching both Ruger forums and couldn't find a single picture of the Holly inserts. Does anyone have a picture of the Holly inserts in either a GP compact or even an SP grip that they can post for me? Thanks.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
I found the shorter grips on the 3"GP not to my liking and tried the Hogues. They were worse but in the opposite direction. Found out that the longer GP grips filled the bill for me! I cc mine in a pancake type holster very comfortably.