3 digit No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up a 3 digit No. 1 in .308 today at a gun show. I believe the designation is an S26M with no sights and a beavertail forearm. No box or papers but it is in really good shape 98+. Some barely visible stock dents and very minimal blueing loss but I want to hunt with it so that's alright. I didn't want to pay the asking price but I realized it was almost exactly what I wanted (I have been looking for a .308 as well) so I paid the man his $750.

I have always wanted a No. 1 and I think they just look cool.

The rings seem to be fairly high and also the same height. Does this sound correct? I will most likely mount a Leupold but want it as low as possible. Would a new set of low rings for a No. 1 be correct? I haven't checked the clearance with a scope, that will be done tomorrow.

rugnelli

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
You got a very good deal. I also have a 3 digit No 1, in .308 a mod 26M. Those rings should be the early style vertical split, if so I would use the current style rings and save the early style which have some collector value. How about some pics.??

Sam,

Thanks, I was happy with the purchase. I wondered about the rings... It came with the current style but they seem too high for my taste. I will put a scope on it tomorrow to see just how high they are.

I would look for a set of split rings as I like my firearms original but in reality I am going to hunt with it so I don't really need to spend the money. What do a set sell for these days?

rugnelli

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Rugnelli,
You will be hard pressed to find a set of the vertical rings; be prepared for "sticker shock". You could luck out though and happen upon an unknowing seller!
If you plan to hunt with it, you are just as well off to use the horizontally split rings.
I just mounted a scope with a set of vertical rings this week and had forgot what a pain it is!!

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
WOW is the understatement of the year. You got a FANTASTIC DEAL. :!:

I'm hunting deer this year with an S22L Beavertail 308 ( No.1-AB) SN 1246 scoped with a vintage Leupold 7.5x in original verticle rings. Went out today and shot 10 rounds through it - no trouble hitting 6" bull at 200 yards so I think it's ready.

Let me know if you want verticle rings. I don't have extras but a set I might sell. $250.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Randy,
I would not have thought the Leupold 7.5x would clear the rib in a set of vertical rings. What a classy rig. Send me a picture of yourself, the rifle and a big buck!
Lee