3 digit cased long frame Supers w/shippers ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
:?:

Now that the auction is over, who wants to confess to having bought one or the other or both of the 445 / 454 cased long frames w/shippers?

Or for that matter, anyone know what they went for? I could not play, having spent too much on DA's lately.

Also, what is the story with the former owner? I have not seen him post in a while. A bunch of lettered guns all being sold at once strikes me as a possible estate sale?

radicalrod

Hunter
Russ is alive and well just decided to sell out from what I have been told.......
No cased Supers made it here though I did bid....just not enough I guess.....
I would like to know what they went for....most likely one bid over mine.....
Guess we will have to wait till later this week for the results....see ya RR.

they got smart this time, when I was talking with the lady at RIA,last auction, she couldn't understand why more folks did NOT bid on the Rugers at that time, I know a couple of things went really cheap, maybe "he"( one of the winnig bidders) said something at Tulsa, and word got out, as this time they got "bid" on......oh well, I do NOT do online auctions, except to "pass on" advice to folks,so did NOT say anything, nor will I........

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy":4sipizo9 said:
they got smart this time, when I was talking with the lady at RIA,last auction, she couldn't understand why more folks did NOT bid on the Rugers at that time, I know a couple of things went really cheap, maybe "he"( one of the winnig bidders) said something at Tulsa, and word got out, as this time they got "bid" on......oh well, I do NOT do online auctions, except to "pass on" advice to folks,so did NOT say anything, nor will I........

I don't think RIA pays much attention to Rugers. They are too much into the price Colts and Winchesters they get in and don't give something "new" like a Ruger a second thought. A nice lady called me from RIA a few weeks before the auction and couldn't understand why the owner had such a high reserve on his LF cased with shipper Supers, so I gave her the scoop. Her terms were also wildly off, mixing the words "Super" with "flattop" etc., so I'm not sure there are too many there that have a clue.
I know two RIA auctions ago there were a bunch of laminate 10/22's on there from another RENE member's collection. RIA was selling them four at a time, some of them pretty rare...but most went for less than what you have to give for a new 10/22 today...$250'ish and less!
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Chet, from what I have been told the reason for putting multiple guns together is the auction wants to maintain a certain price level....like maybe 1K per.....seems silly but when you have 2500 plus auctions must make life easier.....see ya RR.

flatgate

Hawkeye
chet15":1qa3cthj said:
so I'm not sure there are too many there that have a clue
Chet15

That "cropped statement" sums it up in so much of the "gun world"... Old Ruger? Aww, it ain't worth much......

JMHO,

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
I too enjoy it when someone says,,"I have this old Ruger,, it ain't worht much,," and I get another nice OM. yes,, all too often in the collecting world,, Rugers get "snubbed" by the Colts & S&W's or Winchesters or whatever. Look at my displays at the last 2 Harrisburg RCA shows,, and see my title of my display. I TRY to educate the public,,,!

contender

Ruger Guru
deleted double post. I hate it when I get these "error" messages,, or critical error types of messages and then it actually posts the message. It's been happening a lot to me lately.

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh lately every show I go too they say "that's one of them 3 screws with the 4 click hammer....they are really RARE.....that's why I'm askin 600 for an 80% FLATGATE.....just look at the BOOK".....I think we "OVER EDUCATED THEM".......personally I hate all the FNG's that join RF just to ask what their one OLD RARE RUGER is worth and like a bunch of dumbies we give the top of the spectrum answer.....next post is in the classified selling that "OLD RARE RUGER"......then the reality sets in.....RUGER COLLECTORS like to buy $1000 dollar"estimated"guns for $500 or less so we can tell everyone what a great deal we got on a $1000 dollar gun.....so is it really a $1000 dollar gun ???.....hey don't get me wrong, I like a deal myself....actual value and perceived value don't always coincide.....most of the time the REAL WORLD is cruel.....sorry guys it is late and I have had a rough day.....see ya RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
RR is also right. All too often,, I see some dealers at gun shows who think that just because the gun is a 3 screw,, that it's one of the rare varieties. And of course,, they NEVER seem to be able to apply normal NRA grading to a Ruger,, but hand them a S&W or Colt,, and they will pick it apart.
I usually smile & tell them thank you, but no thanks as it's not a rare variety,, and the condition isn't as good as it should be for the price. It's also fun when they come to me later on a Sunday asking for a lower price for the Ruger after it's gen handled or overlooked all weekend. I've gotten a couple at fair prices like that as well.

BUT,, we are heading away from the original thread.
Ok,, who got the Supers?

DHENRY

Bearcat
I really enjoy all the excellent comments.
I'll add a few of my own...
First, IMHO the 'grouping', or multiple-gun listings, are an effort to speed up the three-day auction. They often pair a less-desirable gun with a hotter item.
Second, apparent lack of knowledge doesn't just take place with Rugers...it's there with the Colts and S&W's as well.
The descriptions of most lots are incomplete or missing important details.
Last, even as a multi-brand collector I'm astounded at how high the 'prices realized' are on so much of the stuff.
Used to buy an occasional gun from RIA, but lately they've become too much about huge numbers of lots.
Don

radicalrod

Hunter
RIA results are posted.....3 digit LF Supers 2300 each including the 15% .....I sure hope they like the weather in UTAH :D :D :D ....just guessing as that seems to be where most spend their time :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

westerville

Buckeye
Chet mentioned in his earlier post, "A nice lady called me from RIA a few weeks before the auction and couldn't understand why the owner had such a high reserve on his LF cased with shipper Supers, so I gave her the scoop." Are we sure they met the reserve price and sold? I didn't look at the results page from RIA.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey is this a reserve auction....I don't think it is....I think they were talking about pre auction estimates.....these guns had WAY more freckling than the lone picture showed from what I remember from the last time they were up for sale.....BUT man the shipper sure is KOOL....most likely a fair price for the condition.....see ya RR.