2nd Year of Production Blackhawk - Refinish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That gun is beautiful as it sits. I'd love to have one with that coloring. Did someone try a rust brown finish on it? It just looks too even. I would I find some original parts and "unconvert" it and leave the finish like it is.

LongRifle

Bearcat
That rust brown finish was done the hard way...

The guy that owned it was old, and hunted seemingly every day of his last 20 years on Earth . He always carried it hunting and when not carrying it, he stored it in an non-climate controlled trailer. While rust does not sleep, it also does not seem to build up when the item is used frequently.

Now, the left side has a just a little pitting on the barrel and you can discern it in the picture.

I appreciate all of the opinions here.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would wager that it wasn't 50yrs of carrying and using that got the gun to its current condition. There is no wear whatsoever on the grip frame and that suggests it was either stored poorly or maybe somebody tried to monkey with the finish. Fifty years of use would've worn the anodizing off the high spots, no question.

I'd forego the trip to Ruger and send it to one of our talented gunsmiths to become something more useful, like a .44Spl.

I'd give you $400 for it.

LongRifle

Bearcat
Now that is a great point... You are correct there is no wear on the grips and no marks on the aluminum

As I said, it was stored in the trailer so maybe it just rusted and they sanded it.. or something. Great observation.

He did carry it a lot, but that did not result in getting the grips banged up. I wish I would have asked him when I had a chance

edlmann

Blackhawk
Coop said:
The revolver has been converted already. Hondo, are you advising the OP to remove the converted parts and stick Ruger with the shipping costs on a already converted revolver? Also, AIR, Ruger stamps the body under the grip frame when its converted, so Ruger will know it has been converted when they receive it.
I imagine they have a database of serial numbers and a record of what they've done to them at the factory - or they're a lot dumber than I think.

I do think Ruger offers a prepaid mailer for $30, which is a lot better rate than an individual will get at UPS. A friendly FFL01 might ship it USPS prepaid box for even less.

the finish you see in the brighter picture is commonly known as "patina" just a fancy word for "rust" ( oxidation) little or no wear on the aluminum frame tells us the guns simple sat, oxidized on its own,little or no wear and the side with the pits was where it was laying down, on something that allowed the "steel" parts to rust and pit.........nice gun, but needs to be redone ,"properly", just my two cents, to me "character" that is BAD, sucks......... 8) :wink:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Captain America said:
I'd rub that down with some oil and then shoot it till my finger fell off, it's perfect as it sits!

+1. The first thing came to mind when I looked at those pics? Oil.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Very informative thread!
Thanks Hondo for posting the link.

And, I concur with others who like that flattop as is!!!

Tip

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
The last service fees posted by Ruger on their website listed: Refinish revolver = $130

You can't beat that anywhere. The shipping cost is the killer. So remove the internal action parts including hammer and trigger. Call Ruger...

My apologies to the OP if I'm hijacking this... I have an unconverted OM candidate. The bluing is probably close to 90% but seeing Hondo44's Hawkeye has me thinking about letting Ruger do the high polish reblue.
Jim, and anyone else who have had Ruger reblue your revolver:
Should I anticipate my OM .41 magnum to come back with the safety upgrade even if I send it specifically for the reblue (without the hammer and trigger group)?

Once Brass MR3DB Frame Arrives, It May Go With .41 Mag (bottom) to Ruger
ws1fg9.jpg

Latest posts