2nd Year of Production Blackhawk - Refinish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LongRifle

Bearcat
I stumbled across and purchased an early production Ruger Blackhawk in 357.

Without question it is a "Brown Gun" No finish left at all, but at the same time, not rusty. Just brown.

Sadly it has also been converted, but it does have the original grips and they are in nice shape.

Given that the serial number is in the 2700 range, I thought I might just have it refinished. From my perspective there is little value in the gun the way it sits.

Anyone agree or disagree?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Definite candidate for a refinish or a custom project. Although I don't have a problem doing that with a really nice one either.

street

Hunter
As it has no finish at all then there is no value as a collectors item. I would not have a problem with refinishing it. Although just about all collectors don't want a refinished gun, I would rather have a Factory re-blued gun in my collection then a 90% gun. Having said that I realize that most collectors don't agree with me on this.

LongRifle

Bearcat
A few of things

1) Thanks for the input

2) I will post some pics when I get home this evening. It is 100% brown, with a uniform color.

3) HOW IN THE WORLD do I de-convert this? I would absolutely love to do that. I have searched and searched these forums for a concise source for these parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Since it's already "converted" having The factory refinish it won't incur the conversion so no loss there.

Once it has been made pretty again, you can find original parts here, in the classifieds, and swap them into the gun. They may be kinda pricy, but the swap is no big deal . . . easy-peasy.

Rugerphiles like us would really like to know the serial number if you care to share.

:)

LongRifle

Bearcat
I see no reason not to post the serial once I get home... 2735 runs in my head, but can't be positive.

I got the gun from a old hunter in the area. Died a couple years ago..used to carry this gun with him all the time. He likely owned it since it was new.

yessir, a good candidate for a "proper" restoration, just do NOT get a 'run of the mill ' "re-blue", any doubt at least yuo can return it to Ruger and get their 'latest' offerings, be better than far too many 'reblues' we have seen over the years...............either by some guy named 'Bubba' or by "schwock industies" 8)
too many backyard gun plumbers "think" they know 'how' :roll:
you can ALWAYS tell a "re-blued" gun........ :wink: "if it looks reblued, it was...." anon.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah, what Dan posted!

The last service fees posted by Ruger on their website listed: Refinish revolver = $130

You can't beat that anywhere. The shipping cost is the killer. So remove the internal action parts including hammer and trigger. Call Ruger and request a transfer bar safety upgrade which is free including shipping. They'll email you a free shipping label. Include a note with the gun to refinish it while they have it.

It'll be done correctly w/o over buffing, etc., and you'll get it back in 10 days. You can't beat their service and refinish, or even come close to it anywhere!
Actually Ruger's reblue jobs are better than original. It's not done by the regular production people who are cranking out new guns as fast as they can. It's done on the same type machinery though, so all the surfaces have the same polishing techniques and contours as new factory guns. But any flaws or sloppiness from the original factory blue is corrected and the gun has a higher polish than originally. They all seem to come back with their 'flagship' Super BH best finish. Here's my factory refinished Hawkeye. I added the stainless steel grip frame in place of the aluminum alloy original grip frame:

large.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I see nothing wrong with a factory re-finish. I have no doubt they'd take extra care with such a desireable piece, and it'll still be a "factory gun", period. Just let them know you'd like any replaced parts returned to you.
As to the conversion - much ado about nothing. Unless your gun has/had a lettered appraisal, it is worth exactly what the last offer was. The conversion makes it safer to use.
I am not a collector nor would I play one on TV.

Since it has already been converted I see no reason to remove the internals when sending it to Ruger for refinishing. They'll either refinish the existing conversion parts or install new ones, and these parts will match the finish on the rest of the gun.

Coop

Blackhawk
Maybe I missed something here.

The revolver has been converted already. Hondo, are you advising the OP to remove the converted parts and stick Ruger with the shipping costs on a already converted revolver? Also, AIR, Ruger stamps the body under the grip frame when its converted, so Ruger will know it has been converted when they receive it.

Coop said:
Maybe I missed something here.

The revolver has been converted already. Hondo, are you advising the OP to remove the converted parts and stick Ruger with the shipping costs on a already converted revolver? Also, AIR, Ruger stamps the body under the grip frame when its converted, so Ruger will know it has been converted when they receive it.

And that's why I suggest just leaving the conversion parts in place.

:)

LongRifle

Bearcat
Just checked the gun.... minor correction

Serial is 77xx So that puts it just into the 3rd year. Still 4 digits, but for some reason I thought it was 2700 range

I need to brush up on posting pics.

G2

Hunter
I used to be in the re-finish arena,,,,

It took 50+ years of a guy carrying that gun all over to get the current finish,,,
It won't shoot any better all shined up.
It sounds like a well patina'd shooter, if it were me I would keep the finish that took 50+ years to create.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1. Ruger does stamp 'most' retrofitted guns with an R on the bottom of the frame, under the trigger guard, (but not all.) This is for liability reasons so if the gun is converted back by someone who shoots himself or herself with it, they are exonerated if the case goes to court.

2. The retrofit parts have no where near the longevity of the original action parts, both old and new models. Particularly the hammer cam and cyl bolt. They are of the Colt single action design, except the hammer cam is not replaceable. Therefore a new hammer is required if worn.

3. Ruger will replace the retrofit parts as a policy to insure that the gun leaves their facility as safe as possible.

4. Ruger will retrofit guns with no parts in them and re-retrofit a once retrofitted gun for new owners of old guns.

5. This is the trend; the main rule is there are no rules, only trends. YMMV because answers you get to questions put to Ruger reps can vary by the rep.

G2 said:
I used to be in the re-finish arena,,,,

It took 50+ years of a guy carrying that gun all over to get the current finish,,,
It won't shoot any better all shined up.
It sounds like a well patina'd shooter, if it were me I would keep the finish that took 50+ years to create.

And that's the other side of the coin.

Whatever you do, you're going to wind up with a "shooter". The decision you have to make is, do you want a "pretty" one, or one with "experience, style, and grace"?

:wink: :mrgreen: :wink: