.257 Roberts for deer sized game

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
Baker" THey are a REAL good compromise between the more frangible Ballistic Tips and the Partition. They have a higher BC than the Partition. I've always had good luckwith Partitions BUT the AccuBond has a higher BC and seem to shoot a bit smaller/better. Nothing that would matter at 100-200 yards but as the range opens up it might make the difference,

Actually recovered ABs retain a higher percentage of their weight than PARTITIONS. The Partitions I've managed to recover almost always shed the front core. ABs hold together real well. I just wished they made a Long Range AB for the .257 bullets.

I've been hoarding a supply of the old Solid Base 120s for my AIs and 25-06s. Essentially the new AB but not a bonded core but he same high BC.

Ross

SonofBassMan

Bearcat
Despite .257 diameter bullets not having the features found in 6mm's, 6.5mm's and 7mm's sought by target shooters - low drag, large variety of match bullets -the .257 kills deer extremely well. In fact, when Walt Berger, of the Berger bullet company that makes a huge variety of long range low drag bullets, went to New Zealand to hunt he shot a large variety of big game animals with a .275 R.

A 1-10 twist .257R with 100 grain bullets like the Barnes TTX and 4350 is a more effective deer killer than the .243 W. If you need to shoot deer more than 400 yards away get something bigger. The longer .257 bullets like 117's and 120's boat tail types are close to being marginally stable out of a 1-10 at cold temps. Possibly, LR AB's don't come in .257 diameter because almost all .257 diameter rifles have 1-10 twists.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
.257 is near perfect for deer.

7-08 also excellent for deer , availability of 150-160 bullets advantage for elk, moose , etc , better availability of factory loads.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I was shooting my .257 at 100 yards today with 34 grains H380 and 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. The rifle kept trying to make one hole groups but my shaky rest just wouldn't allow it.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Comparing coefficient /trajectory/bullet construction...... I think these are marginal aspects compared to how much PRACTICE one gets with whatever they hunt with. Bench time to make sure scope and rifle are secure (mounts/screws, etc) and target shooting - at least enough to KNOW what you can do with your rifle, AND some standing position shots as well as using whatever rest is handy (roof post at the range benches?), is what is lacking. The 257 Robt is very capable, and even more so if it's owner practices with it.
Love my little 250 Savage rifles. The deer must think I'm shooting a Weatherby magnum when a hole in their heart 'happens'. (Ok, not the same power but a well aimed shot and it won't matter!)
I know it's getting harder and harder to get to a good rifle range at least around here in Georgia, but the reasoning remains, practice makes....'better'.
Watch folks at the public range. It's scary at times I am thankful for all the range and practice time I've had in my life! I don't get to shoot rifles near enough today.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Cobalt,

Maybe you have all ready thought it (and if so, please disregard my two cents) but have you given any thoughts to the 6.5X55 Swede?

Of the two you mentioned............ the Roberts would be my pick, with a good 100gr. going as fast as safety & accuracy would allow. JMTC

ODS

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
I went with the 7/08. The rifle was for my daughter and being left handed, there seems to be a very limited selection of rifles out there to choose from. I was lucky and found an older LH Sako in 7/08 in near mint condition. It should give here a lifetime of service, and hopefully, a lifetime of game meat. Also, after reading the posts, I still think that I'd like to pick up a .257 for myself at a later date. Thanks for the info.

c4

mohavesam

Hawkeye
243, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, all fine deer cartridges! My largest MI corn-n-bean-fed whitetail ever fell to a 250 Savage, not 3-4 steps from the impact.

Besides recoil, shot placement is key of course. Any of the chamberings mentioned will allow longer range sessions also, a factor much more important than almost any other to the ethical hunter.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Well folks, the .257 came through for me today. Was sitting in a ground blind watching an open field when a nice fat doe came through. She presented a broadside shot at 75 yards and I put a 117 grain Sierra in the lungs. She stumbled, twitched, and it was lights out. Upon field dressing I found the slug had shredded the lungs and the top of her heart making an exit wound the size of a half dollar. This is the same performance I got from the 150 grain Pro Hunter when I took a deer with my Marlin .30 WCF last year. Good bullets!

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I had a tang safety .257 years ago that, as another poster stated, gave one-shot, DRN kills with boring regularity with handloaded 115 gr. Partition Noslers. Can't recall why I sold it but wish I hadn't. My most recent rifle purchase? A No. 1-A in .257 Roberts. Put a 2.5-8x Leupold on it and it's sighted in with those same 115 grain Noslers and ready to go hunting. Only problem is, now I think I need another .257 bolt gun and I'm looking for a flatbolt .257. May have to settle for just a regular tang safety model. The 7/08 is a great caliber which I have never owned or shot, but have great respect for due to friends who have used it with great success.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm very happy with mine. I would love to have a Remington 700 in .257 but they are hard to find and not cheap. I already had the Howa so I just had to pay for the barrel job, that was the most affordable way to get a Bob.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I have no experience with the .257 personally but I have heard the stories of my uncle and his brother inlaw who owned some property in Wyoming. Always got an Elk with his Roberts. I never got to handle or fire the rifle but heard of its accuracy many years later. He passed away in 1974 and the rifle was handed down on the other side of the family. I hear that it is still doing its job every year out there.

Want one myself one day but I know these days would need to reload. I haven't seen .257 Roberts ammo anywhere but Cabelas.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
.257 Roberts ammo is out there, but pretty much a mail order deal. Not much at the local store.

Hornady, Nosler, Double Tap, Federal, Winchester, Remington. They all still make .257 Roberts factory ammo, but nobody is giving it away. :shock:

I don't have personal experience with the 257 Roberts, though it is well respected as a deer cartridge. Availability of ammunition, if I wasn't a handloader, would make me more inclined to go with the 7mm-08 cartridge. The general availability of wider range of bullet weights and manufaturers/designs would also tend to make me lean in that direction.

But, if I had a 257 Roberts given to me or inherited from a family member I'd be happy to use it and work up some loads.

Rusty I

Bearcat
I have 2 "Bobs". One is a Winchester featherweight Mod 70, the other is a Ruger #1B. I use 110 grain Accubonds. First shot this season killed two deer..a doe and a button buck standing behind her (unseen) .
Second shot killed this 9 point..

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Way to go Rusty. Wonder how many pounds of meat you'll get out of that box of shells?

So far my rifle seems to like modest charges with heavy bullets,which is how I load my other rifles. The doe was taken with a 117 grain Pro Hunter over 34 grains of Hodgdon H380. The 117 is more of a .25-06 level bullet, tougher than those commonly used in Bob and the .250 Savage, it won't expand as much and will penetrate through leaving a nice exit wound. In other words, Nosler Partition performance at less than half the cost!

Latest posts