.256 Hawkeye scope mounts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hutt

Bearcat
Is the base for the phantom scope mount stamped as to what gun they fit. I have an old hawkeye with the scope but no mount. This one is drilled and tapped on the barrel. I have seen early hawkeye photos with the scope mounted on the top strap. Whats the story with that.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Mine is drilled and tapped on the barrel. I have never seen one tapped on the top strap....but then I have only seen three or four. Can't help you with the mount mine came mounted.
Charlie

flatgate

Hawkeye
The prototypes had the scope mounted to the top strap. The standard production guns have tapped barrels.

The only one I have is a Bushnell produced mount.

flatgate

Hutt

Bearcat
Is the Hawkeye phantom mount only dedicated to the Hawkeye or is there a cross reference as I find it hard to tell while inspecting possible candidates at gunshows....Thanks....Hutt

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":8ni67g15 said:
The prototypes had the scope mounted to the top strap. The standard production guns have tapped barrels.

The only one I have is a Bushnell produced mount.

flatgate

X6 was tapped on the barrel. Not sure about the other ones.
Chet15

Coogs

Maximum
Bushnell made a "post Mount" system specifically for the hawkeye. Tapered posts screw in the holes in the barrel. A base, with a set screw on either side, slid over the post and was then secured. I was fortunate enough to find a set when I got my hawkeye, as well as a vintage 2x Phantom scope. Just thinking I may have another set of those......no promises, but I'll let you know if I do, Coogs.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The one piece Bushnell base usually had the word HAWKEYE stamped on the top of the base. I have owned both "named" and un-named bases. They work with both a 1.3X and/or a 2.5 Phantom scope. Also as noted, there is also a set of two piece bases which use a molybdenum metal screws to attach in the two factory tapped mount holes, rear top of the hawkeyes' barrel. Of importance is the manner in which the three screws clamp the scope on the one piece base, as there originally is/was a stop block which was installed on one of the scope's attaching screws and aligned with the larger headed (of the two) screw which mounted the one piece base to the barrel. Buying the base is one thing. Finding the base noted with the correct two distinctly different size (height) screw heads is very important. BTW, the one piece base sold by Tasco, did not work with my attempts to use it with a Bushnell Phantom scope...........These Tasco bases were offered in bulk, boxed, on Ebay, in recent years.

Latest posts