231 Equivalent to Unique

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I'm running out of Unique, but I have lots of 231/HP38.
I've been using 125 grain bullets and 5.0 grains of Unique. How much 231 would give me the same fps as the Unique load?
This is used in a 5" gun.
Thanks in advance!

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
That's very much a "read the manual" question. You don't even mention what cartridge you're loading...
I have 12-15 reloading manuals,and refer to them frequently.
I was looking for a helpful response from someone with real world experience .

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I think we all want to avoid "real world experience". My Hornady tenth edition page 880 lists the .38 special 125 gr. XTP with 5.1 gr. Unique for 800 fps and with 4.8 gr. Win. 231 for 800 fps. I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not.
KRuger
You Da Man!
Really, thanks for hunting that down for me, I'll try it.
Now, if it's as accurate as the Unique load .....
I'll report back with some "real world experience", insert smile 😁 here.

I envy you and your "lots of Win. 321". Most of my reloading started with Unique; but the more I use 231; the more I like it. It does not seem as "dirty" and I think it may provide more consistency at the lower end of the velocity spectrum. I'm using it in .38 special and (low) .44 mag applications.
KRuger

NikA

Buckeye
"Real world experience" tells me that a 125gr bullet can be loaded with Unique in .32 H&R, .32 FM, 9x19mm, .38 Sp, .38 Super, and .357M to name a few. Those cases have different internal volumes, so different powder burn rates will affect pressure and velocity differently.

Glad someone else was able to guess what you were looking for and provide you with an acceptable answer from their loading manual.

Snake45

Hawkeye
231 is faster than Unique, so don't use Unique loading data for it.

I've had very good luck in .45ACP with 5.3 grains of 231 behind a variety of lead bullets from 200 to 230 grains

In .38 Spec, I load 4.5 grains with 158 grain lead bullets, and the same charge with 124 grain lead bullets in 9mm. These two could be getting into +P territory but I've never had any problems with them re primers, sticky extraction, etc.

Johnnu2

Hunter
So...... now that we got through all THAT......

What cartridge are you loading for BB? Is it indeed the 38Spl/357 Mag as guessed above??

J.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
So...... now that we got through all THAT......

What cartridge are you loading for BB? Is it indeed the 38Spl/357 Mag as guessed above??

J.
38 special. I'm at my bench loading up some 124 grain / 4.8 grains 231 as we speak.
Thanks for asking!

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
You have 12-15 reloading manuals but you think some unknown guy on the internet might have more reloading experience than the companies that come up with the data in the reloading manuals??!?!??

We shouldn't even be giving reloading data. Make a typo and blow up a gun.
I always reference 2 reloading manuals but the real source of truth is the web site for the powder you use. It's free, reliable and easily found on the internet.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
38 special. I'm at my bench loading up some 124 grain / 4.8 grains 231 as we speak.
Thanks for asking!

You have 12-15 reloading manuals but you think some unknown guy on the internet might have more reloading experience than the companies that come up with the data in the reloading manuals??!?!??

We shouldn't even be giving reloading data. Make a typo and blow up a gun.
I always reference 2 reloading manuals but the real source of truth is the web site for the powder you use. It's free, reliable and easily found on the internet.
The factory manuals don't provide cross- brand comparisons,and yes, I do trust the experience of others,if it seems to fall within my paradigm of reasonable- ness.
The guy did me a favor of a little research ,and I appreciate it.
I'm sure your reply is well intended,Bless your heart.

JStacy

Blackhawk
The Lyman #46 uses a lot of WW231 in recommended 38Spl loads. The Lyman manual also list pressure for their loads , a plus in my opinion.
Hodgdon's on line loading data is a very good source of information but note that their velocities come from a sealed barrel often 7-10" long. Your results will probably be lower. I use a lot of WW231 ,I bought a 5# from a fellow getting out of reloading, and i find it very versatile. The WW231 is described in several loading manuals as a powder that will not give you the highest velocity but will give you very consistent and accurate reloads. 231 is at least 10% faster than Unique so read the manual recommendations. what type of 5" gun?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I've probably seen more threads in recent times of " dang , I'm out of 231 , can I use Unique ? " .

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The Lyman #46 uses a lot of WW231 in recommended 38Spl loads. The Lyman manual also list pressure for their loads , a plus in my opinion.
Hodgdon's on line loading data is a very good source of information but note that their velocities come from a sealed barrel often 7-10" long. Your results will probably be lower. I use a lot of WW231 ,I bought a 5# from a fellow getting out of reloading, and i find it very versatile. The WW231 is described in several loading manuals as a powder that will not give you the highest velocity but will give you very consistent and accurate reloads. 231 is at least 10% faster than Unique so read the manual recommendations. what type of 5" gun?
It's a Smith model 327, N frame 8-shot

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I envy you and your "lots of Win. 321". Most of my reloading started with Unique; but the more I use 231; the more I like it. It does not seem as "dirty" and I think it may provide more consistency at the lower end of the velocity spectrum. I'm using it in .38 special and (low) .44 mag applications.
KRuger
I like unique because there is much less chance of a double charge (easy to see on visual inspection before bullet is placed) and I can leave my powder measure on 7 grains and load .357, 41 mag., 44 mag, 44-40, 45 colt and .45 acp and get useable Cowboy action loads and target loads with all of them.

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
Buy a Lyman Reloading Manual. It is a resource of useful loading info. FWIW I don't think 231 & Unique are similar!
Don't just guess....FIND OUT. jmho

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Buy a Lyman Reloading Manual. It is a resource of useful loading info. FWIW I don't think 231 & Unique are similar!
Don't just guess....FIND OUT. jmho
Unique and 231 have a great deal of overlap in their use. I don't know why my question aroused such a flurry of concern. If I had asked about a magnum load,sure, but asked if anyone had experience with a substitution for a specific, moderate load I.e. 5.0 grains of Unique.
Gratefully, someone had the answer to that specific question,and provided it.
No harm,no foul I say.

KRuger
It is more consistent because it meters so well!
I also like Unique, but I have found times when it drops really light loads. Don't use Unique in a Little Dandy!

Latest posts