23# main spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has anyone had issues with the stock 23# spring, like it loosing its "spring" or some other issue ? I am aware that some shooters go up or down on spring power based on their needs. I have tried 26# on down to less than 17# but keep on hanging around the 23# range. I have read on the internet ( of course ) that the stock spring takes a "set" and looses its power. Anyone have comments or want to share their experiences. Thanks.

Precision32

Blackhawk
A spring is an "elastic solid." Look it up. A spring will take an initial set (<1%) but after that the spring rate will remain constant until the spring fails by breaking. Ever use a beam type torque wrench? It is nothing but a spring and will remain accurate until it snaps in half.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Just what is this spring in? I assume a gun of some kind? Cowboy action shooters often install soft springs in their six shooters. Many of those same guys complain about bad primers.

Chuck, My guns are 44 SBHs. I am not a Cowboy Action shooter, I'm more of a plinker/ hunter. I have never had any kind of problem with primers , I'm just trying to find a suitable spring weight that is easy on my arthritic thumb but give good reliability on primer strikes without sacrificing lock time. Thanks Precision 32, no I have never used a beam torque wrench but I do see what you are saying. The post I had read went on about the "set" spring having to be changed every year to maintain accuracy. I'm just trying to figure out what the person ment.

Latest posts