22lr sub-sonic @ 175 yards

Help Support Ruger Forum:

On a whim, I decided I'd find out what sort of holdover it would take to put a sub-sonic bullet on a coyote at longer range. Not that I expect it would be a fatal hit but I'd been kidding the boys about calling coyotes close enough for me to shoot them with the suppressed 22 so I needed to know just how close that would be. The range of 175 yards was "pre-chosen" since that's how far it is from the barn lot fence to the pond dam that had a tuft of grass showing above the snow.
So here's how it went: First shot held dead on was way low (12-15") as expected. Second shot using the thicker portion of the tapered crosshair @ 4.5X was 6-8" low. Third shot using same point on crosshairs @ 3x was correct elevation. 5MPH crosswind caused a consistent 4-5" wind drift which was VERY surprising as I expected much more deviation.
The cool thing is, you could almost lay the rifle down and take a sip of coffee before the bullet impacts(not really but it seems that way). If I had a more solid rest, I could easily get "two on the way" before the first struck even with a bolt action.

contender

Ruger Guru
Longer distances truly put skills to the test. I teach folks that very close targets allow new shooters to feel good. But to be serious,, you need to be able to hit at much longer ranges,, and THAT'S marksmanship.

Now,, go find a yote & put a pair downrange after him & see the results.

gunzo

Hunter
Ya must be zeroed way out there to drop only 12-15" @175 yds.

I usually zero my 22 rifles at 50 yards & standard velocity ammo drops a bit over 40" at 175 yards. I just installed a 25 MOA rail on an American to get it past 200 with the scope elevation adjustment I have.

jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators

For fun and at a some talk that I could not do it. We were firing at the 200 yd range doing rifle practice. I had my 38 spl air wt. S&W model 37?. Could I hit the 18 inch plate. It took 5 shoots to dial it in, next 5 shots 3 of 5 hit. Standing double action.
I could shoot lower, the gun and maybe count to 2 or 3 before impact. Buddy was watching the bullets path. Handloads with lead 158 swc. Gun was at a high angle aiming was done feet above the target.

I don't really know how much that thin center crosshair spans at that range so can't say how much hold over I was actually allowing but yes, it was a significant amount. The zero for the crosshairs is 50 yards.
Long before there were built in "holdover aiming points", I used the point of the "Dual-X" crosshair and varied the magnification to get the correct hold for long ranges. That was in the "thin times" when a coyote hide paid for a month's electricity or a week's groceries and I couldn't afford a miss.

I remember those "thin times"! Found out that the little yellowish-colored Idaho/Eastern Washington dryland 'yotes brought better prices than the big beautiful red and black dogs they had in more northern climes.

Why? Dye.