22lr Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tim Chissom

Bearcat
I picked a 22lr Single Six today, 51/2" bbl that is 99% or NIB. A receipt in the box says it was purchased in 1959. Serial number 144xxx. Could that be correct? Should I keep it this way or is it just a nice shooter?

Spiritmaker

Flash

Buckeye
Yes, that would be correct. The serial numbers range from 122480 to 151188 for that year but that's not absolute since this is the year they were shipped, not manufactured. Your gun could have been produced at on earlier date. I'd keep it and not shoot it if it's as nice as you say.

A

Anonymous

Tim sounds like a nice gun to me. Is the box , end label marked with a catalog number or is it plain, just says .22 caliber revolver? or is it "RSS5"??
The serial number puts it right about the time of the change-over to the larger diameter barrels, but I think it was like a year or so later thsiactually took plce. So short of measuring the actual bore (slup the bore with 'Cerrosafe' and measure the 'plug' diameter, it should be .222" diameter ,+/- .002".
After around serial number #150,000 they start to run about .224"dia. to use for the larger diameter magnum shells.
This "=/-.002" is where the trouble can come, because if you have a barrel that is running "over size" and put in ammo that may be "undersize", one can have one LARGE difference and accuracy can go right out the window. They usually don't let that happen, BUT................

Show us some pictures of your 'new' gun..........

------------------

NRAAvatar.jpg

Patron

Dan

contender

Ruger Guru
No, the change of the Ruger bore diameter happened to all Ruger 22's after serial number 150,000. So, even though they produced a 22 mag only gun, they started offering an interchangable cylinder option soon after. It has become a "standard." So, all the barrels will mic at the .224.

------------------
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

flatgate

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Chissom:
<B>Should I keep it this way or is it just a nice shooter?
Spiritmaker</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, the choice is up to you. The value of a pristine example is significantly higher than that of a shooter, especially since so many of those guns were purchased to "shoot".

If it was mine, I'd "tuck it away" and keep looking for a "shooter grade" example. I've managed to acquire shooter grade versions of many of the "safe queens" in my collection.

Or, you could send that ol' Single-Six out to Wyoming where I can guarantee it'll have a good home.

flatgate

Tim Chissom

Bearcat
On the box it says RSS5. Is that correct? I guess I'll just put it way back in the safe and shoot someting else.

Spiritmaker

A

Anonymous

Yes, when that high a number "should" have been the 'RSS5' but never know, they may have slipped one out in the early box, better for YOU if it was.
No worry as to the pictures, as I said probably a nice gun and a "favorite" for many of us Ruger doers.

------------------

NRAAvatar.jpg

Patron

Dan

IlikeSS

Bearcat
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Chissom:
Spiritmaker<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

About your handle and seeing as you are from Kentucky... are we talkin' bourbon??

Ken (who enjoys a glass of said beverage on occasion)

J Miller

Blackhawk
Digital cameras are not required to post pics on this or any forum.

Take your film to a developer that can put the images on a CD. Then pop the CD in your CD drive and download the pic to your hard drive, then put it in an email and send it to flatgate.
Or if you have a flat face scanner, just scan the pics in and email them to flatgate.

Easier to do than it is to type.

Joe

Tim Chissom

Bearcat
Hi IlikeSS. LOVE good bourbon but that is my SASS handle. But I have been know to try my hand in the process, sort of.

Spiritmaker

Quick check . . .

A 7/32" drill bit (.219") will usually JUST slip into the muzzle of a gun set up for .22 Magnum ammo. It will not quite slip into the older, smaller, original .22LR barrels.

Use the upper, smooth end of the bit for this check, and for Heaven's sake, don't force it.

For those who care, I just confirmed this on my own guns. The bit will try to start in the older (Flatgate) barrel (and you could easily get it jammed in there: DON'T) but will slip nicely into my later guns shipped with magnum cylinders, including an RSSM.

:)

:)