22lr magazine as speedloader for Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAA

Bearcat
I´m using a 22lr pistol magazine as a speedloader for my Single-Six, with a little practice I found it pretty handy to do so. Anyone else out there using this method of reload? 8)

Scott

Single-Sixer
I've thought about that too - glad to hear someone else is doing it, 'cause I've considered buying some magazines for that purpose (don't own a .22 autoloader). Right now I carry a plastic skoal can full of loose cartridges; more waterproof than the cardboard boxes they come in.

il Padrino

Bearcat
How about making disposable speed strips by using tape to attach them together? Use masking tape so it will tear easier. You could tape 6 rounds per strip, pull a strip out and simply tear the tape as you load each round.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
You can use three 22/45 or Mk 2 mags gives you thirty rounds. There are the plastic rotating tubes like the under barrel magazine rifle folks use that hold about thirty six rounds.

Ruger mags and the tube things are about he same price. Calthrop

rooger

Single-Sixer
I don't have a Single-Six but I have a Blackhawk .357 which I speedload by popping a handful of cartridges into my mouth then spitting them into the spinning cylinder.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Manly.
If you had the money you could score some Magnum Research Desert Eagle or some Coonan Magazines. Thereby saving your cylinder the hydraulic pressure spike. Calthrop. v

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
il Padrino":1ng4ltne said:
How about making disposable speed strips by using tape to attach them together? Use masking tape so it will tear easier. You could tape 6 rounds per strip, pull a strip out and simply tear the tape as you load each round.

I made a speed strip for a 32 revolver out of an old rubber mouse pad. Cut to length and punch a few holes. Should work for a 22 also.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Sounds good to me. The idea is keep you ammo together. So it dose not become loose, dirty and lost. Ammo must be kept dry and clean in order to function reliably. Calthrop

Snake45

Hawkeye
Uncle Mike's makes a dandy little nylon belt pouch just to hold loose .22 ammo. I've been using one for years and haven't yet seen any faster or simpler way to load .22 revolvers. Velcro top flap keeps everything secure when you're not loading from it.

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Snake45":spsadfid said:
Uncle Mike's makes a dandy little nylon belt pouch just to hold loose .22 ammo. I've been using one for years and haven't yet seen any faster or simpler way to load .22 revolvers. Velcro top flap keeps everything secure when you're not loading from it.

That's just the ticket. A pouch or pocket for the rimfire ammo in the field. When at the range you can just have a container of it on the bench to grab from. Thing is with a revolver (except in defense situations), I like the slower process as it keeps me calm and concentrated for aiming etc. (see username). :)

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Thats right. My old .45ACP Blackhawk did it that way with two [pre-ban] Glock Hi-Cap magazines when Clinton was a sitting prez. The only good thing to come out of the weapons ban was that I learned to shoot a SA revolver left handed. Calthrop

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Snake45":1iim0won said:

I've got one of those and use it all the time. Personally I agree with you. I wear it on the right/front of my belt and it's fast for both rifle or handgun. A handful is just right to refill it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
CajunBass":1xxh1pvq said:
Snake45":1xxh1pvq said:

I've got one of those and use it all the time. Personally I agree with you. I wear it on the right/front of my belt and it's fast for both rifle or handgun. A handful is just right to refill it.
That's where I wear mine too. I think I normally put somewhere between 50 and 75 rounds in it at a time but I think you could stuff up to 100 in it. It's shallow enough that getting the last rounds at the bottom are no problem whatsoever.

Returning to the original question, using a .22 pistol magazine as a "speedloader," I'm not seeing the utility. First, you've got to fill that thing up every ten rounds, and then I don't think it's going to be any faster loading from the mag than just picking rounds out of the Mike's pouch and loading them. I can reload my DA revolvers pretty fast from that pouch. I've learned to grab them two or three at a time from the pouch, facing the right way, and stuff them right on in.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin":1tic7paq said:
How about 6 rds in a tube of some kind? Just open gate, hold tube over charge holes and turn cyl...? (Oversimplified I know, but..) :?
You still have to load the tube, another time-wasting step.

A

Anonymous

Quickest way I've found to reload mine was to slap in the loaded Mag cylinder after I shot up all the cartridges in the LR cylinder.
:D

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I like having two guns, like in the movies. When one runs out of ammo, I hand it to the wench waiting behind me, and she loads it quickly while I fire off the 35 rounds in the revolver she just handed me.
:lol: