22lr Federal question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
The 510 Lightnings I bench-tested in 2004 came in a red box and I bought them at KMart. Couple years later, they changed the name to Champions in a blue box, and Walmart started carrying them, but it was the exact same load right down to the510 number and they shot identically in all my rifles. You're saying they're back to Lightning again now? :?

22-rimfire

Bearcat
Yes, current 510B's sold at Walmart are labeled "Lightning". They are in a redish-brown and black box versus the solid red that I believe the old Lightnings were packaged in. You still see the blue and black boxes at gunshops which are 510's. I am not sure if the Redish brown boxes are Walmart specific as I have not really shopped for 510's other than at Walmart in the last few months.

There was the old Federal Hi-Power (#710's) packaged in a solid red box with mostly white lettering. These are currently called "Game Shok". I did not buy any Lightnings during that period as most of the Federals I bought then were to use in my HS Victor which seemed to prefer the copper coated bullets. I'm guessing that the Lightnings were in a simlar box at that time.

22-rimfire

Bearcat
I have a couple 100-ct boxes of Game Shok (810's) also. I can't explain that one.... paper or plastic.... I guess.

I think the champion that really shot well was called game shock.... I made the bad assumption that all 'champion' ammo was better and would shoot the same......

now I think I need to start all over again trying to figure out what shoots best in each of my three 10/22s

Wireman134

Bearcat
Praise the Lord, I truly dislike 22 load inconsistency, but we have no control over this bulk ammo. Federal seems to be the most bang for the buck. So I will enjoy my AM22 in my 10/22 for now. LOL

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
You're saying they're back to Lightning again now?

Hi,

Many years ago someone told me mfrs have to "recycle" their trademarked names every certain number of years in order to preserve their TM rights. I became aware of it in the auto industry--as an example, Ford sold "500" badged cars for years, then that number went on the shelf for quite a while, but was "revived" just a couple of years ago. Or a Zephyr today carries a Lincoln badge but a number of years ago was a Mercury model.

I'd imagine that's the same w/ any mfr, and could explain why Federal Champions might be shotshells in one decade, .22 LR ammo in another, etc.

Just thinkin' out loud, though...

Rick C