.223/5.56 Gun Site Scout and .223 RAR Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have a .223 Rem. Ruger American and a .223/5.56 stainless steel Gun Site Scout, both left handed. There have been questions about both rifle's accuracy so I thought I'd report the results of today's range trip. YMMV

The GS Scout has an older 2-7x32 Leupold Vari-X II scope mounted in the OEM Ruger rings
The RAR has a 4.5-14x40 SF Nikon Buckmaster scope in Burris medium rings.

I had two reloads using mixed military and commercial cases trimmed to 1.752" and full length sized in an RCBS die. Priming was done on my Redding Turret press and bullets seated with an RCBS micrometer seater die. Both loads' overall length was set using a Hornady L&L OAL gauge to put the bullets 0.02" off the rifling of the RAR. The GS Scout's significantly longer chamber throat meant the clearance was much greater. The loads were:

1. Sierra 55 gr Spitzer Boattail with a near maximum charge of Hodgdon CFE223 and Winchester WSR primer
2. Nosler 60 gr Partition also with a near maximum charge of CFE223 and WSR primer.

I had only 21 of the Sierra loads and 24 of the Noslers so I couldn't fire a lot of groups but I think my results were reliable.

At 100 yards the GS Scout put the Sierra reload into a 7/8" and a 3/8" 3-shot groups (I was delighted!!) but wouldn't keep the Noslers under 3". The RAR put the Sierra reloads into a 1-1/4" 3-shot group (it has averaged a bit under 1" with this load previously) but would barely keep the Noslers below 2"

At 200 yards, things got very interesting. The GS Scout fired a single 3-shot group with the Sierra reload into 1-1/2" and the RAR fired two 3-shot groups into 3/4" and 5/8"!!! At that point I was out of the both loads and figured nothing was lost by not shooting the Noslers at 200 yards anyway.

I was gratified by how well both rifles shot the Sierra reload and a bit disappointed by the Nosler's results. I suppose some load and powder experimentation might find an accurate load for the Nosler but the Sierra has proven it's worth right where it is.

Al James

Hunter
Thanks for the great report and good shooting! Couple of nice rifles you have there. I read you were within .02" of the lands.... did those rounds still fit in the mag? While I like the GSR a bunch the RAR looks like a great bargain! Thanks again!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Al James said:
Thanks for the great report and good shooting! Couple of nice rifles you have there. I read you were within .02" of the lands.... did those rounds still fit in the mag? While I like the GSR a bunch the RAR looks like a great bargain! Thanks again!
Yes, they fit both magazines with no problems. The RAR has a short throat so the OAL of my loads were 2.243" (Sierra) and 2.229" (Nosler) while the published max OAL for the .223 Rem is 2.260" which the RAR mag will accept. The Scout magazine will take up to a 2.37" round so there was plenty of excess room in it.

I find it interesting that the RAR will shoot right with the GS Scout while costing about 1/3 as much.

Al James

Hunter
The RAR seems to be inherently more accurate than the M77 series. I sure do like those Hornady OAL gauges. I remember the match soot days so when that tool and all of the cases came out I was all over them. Great way to measure where you are at in relation to the lands. Glad you are having fun!