.220 swift?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ewalker

Bearcat
This may be a dumb question but I got a 2010 catalog (Ruger) when did they drop the swift in the 77 and #1?
Does anyone know why they dropped that caliber?

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
There are no dumb questions - it fact that is a good question. Nobody but Ruger knows why they change their lineup except that they are business to make money. Appearently the 220 Swift was not selling so it was dropped. My experience with the Swift has been mixed. In the flat bolt M77s I've owned I found that I couldn't get 4000 fps with 50 grain bullets withoiut cases sticking in the chamber and difficult to open the bolt. Loaded down to 3600-3800 they shot with good accuracy. Velocities with the 22-250 are very close and no problems. With Ruger's 204 it is easy to get over 4000 fps and its a fun gun gun to shoot. I think its just a matter of what sells.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have a pretty good collection of both factory and custom 220 Swifts including several Rugers.

Like 'em all.

Ruger has been known to drop something for a while then bring it back.

No good reason for everyone not to own a Ruger 220 Swift.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Just shot my 77V last week! No reason to ever own a .22-250 as far as I am concerned! Factory 62 gr. Hornady ammo gives me 7/8" groups (@100), but the 50 gr. Remington drops that to about 5/8".

I've got the dies and several premium bullets to see what I can do with handloads now! This is the rifle that makes me want to finally get a chronograph.

This is the oldest rifle (time of ownership) in my collection. My dad and I traded my Springfield Armory M6 Scout and something else not to be mentioned for it when I was still young. Of course, now I want another M6 Scout, too!

picketpin

Buckeye
2006 would be the date it was dropped.

It was dropped because it wasn't selling. I think it was brought out for us old farts and most of us have bought about all we can justify over the last 30 years or so.

The Swift has some issues due to the case taper and you have to admit that other than at the very top velocities it doesn't do anything a 22-250 doesn't do The 22-250 is far more popular among the general public and is chambered in a heck of a lot more rifles.

You will find 22-250 ammo in every mom and pop store in the country. Finding 220 Swift stuff is sometimes iffy, especially in smaller places and rural America.

If you do hot rod your Swift constantly you run into the issue of washing out the throat. Sure a 22-250 will to if run full bore constantly.

I have 4 Rugers in 220 Swift, a older 77 MKI with the light barrel that was used as a walking coyote rifle and another in the "V" model for setting and shooting rockchucks and such. I also have #1s in Swift, both the "B" and the "V". I shoot them quite a bit.

That being said if I was forced to choose between the Swift of the 22-250, I would choose the 22-250. Just more "STUFF" inc luding really good brass available and for all practical purposes it duplicates the Swift. In fact my 22-250AI runs right with the Swift without the case stretching.

The one that continues to amaze me is that fact that Ruger chambered the 25-06 in the early "V" #1s and still does. I like mine but the recoil is actually too high for a dedicated varmint rifle where 1000s of rounds will be fired in the course aof a single day.

Oh, well. glad I already have mine.

Ross

Ewalker

Bearcat
Do yall know what year they quit making the swift?
OldRugerMan I agree on the .204 I bought one when they first came out in the target model. I carry that gun all winter because so far it has been fur friendly on bobcats. I shoot the 40 gr. hornady's. I would'nt trade it for swift.