.22 shot shells

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Anybody have exprience with .22 or .22 mag shot shells in the field? Have used the .45 Colt, they work ok on birds up close. Just bought the Single Six for woods walkin.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
With the 22 you will need to be a whole lot closer!! I got lucky once and dropped a starling on the fly with the 22 shot and a single six but in reality it isn't useful for much.

It is useful for up close work though. I used to use it in places where holes in things like a barn roof or silo top would get me an ass whoopin' from Dad!! Me and my friends would use it in the barns at night along with a flashlight for pigeon control and other vermin we didn't want in there. Lots of fun was had by all!! Only one thing to add to that...ABSOLUTELY wear glasses because that small shot tends to bounce back...even off of surfaces like tin or 2x's and plywood.

I would keep the standard 22 ammo in the gun for "woods walkin" and keep the shot shells handy in a pocket. Just my $.02 worth.

usaf51

Bearcat
I used it when I would go to the woods mushroom hunting or camping It didn't seem to do much good on a snake with much size to it. That is unless you were standing on it.

Hi I use to play with it alot when I was a kid on the farm killing starlings and rats you got to be real close unless you have a smooth bore rifle then you can extend your range some they use to make very small clay pidgions and throwers for mini skeet it was pretty cool I still have a box of remington KLAY BIRD shot

GRAMPS

wwb

Hunter
GRAMPS 51":v5xe5ea7 said:
...... you got to be real close unless you have a smooth bore rifle.........

There it is. Out of a rifled barrel, the shot column is spinning, and as soon as it's out of the barrel, it flies apart due to the centifugal force.

To be of any use with a rifled barrel, you need to be almost so close that the powder burns inflict as much damage as the shot. If you can score one of the old Mossberg or Remington smoothbores, the stuff will take down a rat up to about 10 yards. Out of a Single Six, it's pretty much useless.

The crimped type are less effective and lead your barrel pretty thoroughly. I've had fairly good results from the CCI shot cartridges with the blue shot capsules. They'll kill a rattlesnake from 6 feet or so.