22 rimfire wind deflection question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Does 2" of deflection sound about right for 50 yards with a gusting (10-20MPH) crosswind?
Reason: I found a few minutes to get a little trigger time with the 77/22 and found considerable deflection due to a strong crosswind. I didn't have time to test from a solid rest so cheating a bit by picking brains here. It's either the wind or I need to check zero.

Yeah. I'm not what you'd say trying to hit the bullseye, but looking at the group size on the target. Grandson is supposed to be keeping up on his rifle practice prior to the elk hunt and somehow got the idea that throwing bullets at long range steel targets is the only way. With the gusty wind, I told him we weren't wasting centerfire ammo on missing and took him to the rimfire range. Still gusty wind but far more informative than not knowing where/why he missed. The results weren't pretty--a 4" group @ 50 yards from a rifle that's capable of less than 1". I took the rifle out the next morning(still 10-20 gusting crosswind) and the group was 1" vertical and 2" horizontal plus offset 2" downwind due to the gusting wind(?).
I'm a bit challenged for precise zeroing at the moment since most of my sandbags and bench accessories burned in the storage shed besides being really busy so was hoping the scope wasn't bonked out of zero.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Yeah .22lr are quite prone to wind drift due to low weight, poor areo bullets and slower velocity. I know with me I just have some good days at the range and poor. Be it wind or whatever, seems most of my issues the past 5 years or so it vision related. I can't see nearly as sharp as I used to and when the eyes are strained my accuracy goes out the window. It can happen surprisingly quick as well and in the toilet goes good groups.
teaching your grandson how to shoot in all conditions( including wind) will make him a better shooter for the remainder of his life.
learning to shoot in wind either scope adjustments or Kentucky windage and to do it second nature will make him a much better hunter down the trail.
You're doing good work with the boy, keep it up.

gunzo

Buckeye
A CCI Minimag HP will deflect 2.4" in a 15 mph crosswind @50 yds. according to JBMballistics.com .... an extremely handy online trajectory calculator.