.22 "Ramset" blanks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Tomarrow I get to finally pick up my first .22, unfortunately not a Ruger but a little NEF 9 shot revolver. (my first gun was a .45, LOL) Unforunately I have no been able to locate any .22 ammo locally! :roll: I'm wondering if I can buy a pack of those "Ramset" .22 blanks that they sell at Home Depot for the "powder actuated nailers". Can I fire those in a regular .22 revolver?

I have just as much fun making noise as I do launching bullets. :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
I would wonder if the blanks MIGHT cause a burn ring in an area where it might make chambering normal 22 LR ammo hard. Just thinking out loud.

A

Anonymous

contender":2abclskc said:
I would wonder if the blanks MIGHT cause a burn ring in an area where it might make chambering normal 22 LR ammo hard. Just thinking out loud.

Hmmm...I can keep an eye on that. Obviously I'd clean it when I'm done though.

pete44ru

Hunter
I certainly wouldn't use them in any firearm of mine - I believe there's a warning to that effect on their packaging.

A

Anonymous

pete44ru":1j3zu0t0 said:
I certainly wouldn't use them in any firearm of mine - I believe there's a warning to that effect on their packaging.

And why is that?

Just because there's a warning on the package isn't close to a good enough reason...of course they say that, they don't want people to think it's real ammo.

BigBlock":1gpwv36d said:
pete44ru":1gpwv36d said:

And why is that?

Just because there's a warning on the package isn't close to a good enough reason...of course they say that, they don't want people to think it's real ammo.

It could be that they're corrosive or something similar. I don't know enough about the nailers they're used in to make an educated guess.

I'd hit some of the online outlets to find some real ammo, if you can't find any locally.

If you're truly interested in blanks, I would buy blanks for a .22 starter pistol. Here are some made by CCI, and marked "Smokeless" so I would think they'd be non-corrosive:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, my comment was made in an effort to allow everyone to think about the POSSIBILITIES of problems associated with using something, (blanks,) not meant to be used in firearms. I personally would NOT use them in any firearm,,, even if it is a NEF revolver.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
While it's certain they would be non-corrosive, the CCIs are marked "smokeless" to specifically differentiate them as Winchester still makes and markets .22 black-powder blanks. I keep both smokeless and black-powder blanks in my .22 kits.

Many powder-actuated tools use .22 Short blanks. I don't see how you can hurt it, as long as you clean it, just to make sure. Time for a test and range report!

A

Anonymous

pete44ru":2682n1ve said:
Ramset Power Loads are available in several different diameters (caliber) and power levels - but ALL are powered by a nitroglyceryin explosive powder, rather than a gunpowder, and are consider toxic emitters when fired.

http://www.ramset.com/pdfs/MSDS/Powder_Loads__MSDS.pdf

LOL, what do you think gunpowder is made out of? Those "toxic emitters" you're talking about are the same as those that come out of a normal gun barrel, according to that MSDS you linked. It can't be full of anything dangerous if they expect people to fire these nailers in indoor environments.

I'm sorry, but some of you really sound like gun-%$#&*. What, do you think they're full of battery acid or something? They're just blanks for crying out loud. I'll just try them and see how they work. Didn't realize there were so many women in here....

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
I bet if you can find a stick the right diameter you can break off pieces in the barrel and shove them down with a cleaning rod to see how well the gun patterns with those ram set blanks. Maybe set up a crony to check their speed also. I don't think they will work over 100 yards though. :roll:

Edit: I got to thinking I hope you all realize this is a joke and should not be tried. Then again, we are talking about using Ram sets in a firearm so I thought I had better add the edit.

ddd482

Single-Sixer
BigBlock":2fgix8r8 said:
pete44ru":2fgix8r8 said:
Ramset Power Loads are available in several different diameters (caliber) and power levels - but ALL are powered by a nitroglyceryin explosive powder, rather than a gunpowder, and are consider toxic emitters when fired.

LOL, what do you think gunpowder is made out of? Those "toxic emitters" you're talking about are the same as those that come out of a normal gun barrel, according to that MSDS you linked. It can't be full of anything dangerous if they expect people to fire these nailers in indoor environments.

I'm sorry, but some of you really sound like gun-$%^#. What, do you think they're full of battery acid or something? They're just blanks for crying out loud. I'll just try them and see how they work. Didn't realize there were so many women in here....

you know, its guys like you that have made the lawyers rich in this country- they put warning labels on these things for a reason- so dumb-asses like you cant sue them when something goes wrong-

"gun-#%$^*" ? wow, just wow-

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
BigBlock":1x6t7zst said:
I'm sorry, but some of you really sound like gun-pussies. What, do you think they're full of battery acid or something? They're just blanks for crying out loud. I'll just try them and see how they work. Didn't realize there were so many women in here....

You know. I ted to agree with you. I don't think they'll hurt a thing, but you are WAY out of line here. You come here, ask for advice, then start calling names when you don't get what you wanted to hear.

If you have your mind made up already, why bother to ask?

A

Anonymous

I asked because I thought somebody would have either already tried them or know a specific reason why they don't work. I didn't think nobody would know because they were too scared to get their guns dirty. :roll:

The MSDS sheet linked above pretty well proves they're nothing but smokeless blanks made by Winchester. The person who posted it was trying to convince me otherwise but clearly did not understand the information.

PS - yeah, they work fine.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Back in the day when I was a teenager I shot MANY ramset blanks through a Colt new frontier .22. All they did was make noise and the front wad would sting like %^(*^ at close range. Did they damage the gun? NO..........and they won't damage yours.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
BigBlock":3cvjgwll said:
...I'm sorry, but some of you really sound like gun-pussies. What, do you think they're full of battery acid or something? They're just blanks for crying out loud. I'll just try them and see how they work. Didn't realize there were so many women in here....

You asked and they answered. No need to be insulting. I believe those that showed concern were doing just that and this is a VERY civil board. We need to keep it that way.

contender

Ruger Guru
BigBlock,
I always offer honest opinions & answers to serious questions. Your insults to some of us, calling names is uncalled for. This is a clean Forum,, and we would appreciate you being the same way.
I offered advice on what I knew,, or felt MIGHT be a problem. We do not know what is put in those blanks,,, and since nail guns need power to operate,, I felt it MIGHT cause problems.
Please keep things civil if you want serious answers to questions here.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I use them, they work fine. Pressure is certainly not an issue.

I do think there are times when folks are a little too quick to don the safety police badge. ;)

A

Anonymous

contender":2f49qnjx said:
I offered advice on what I knew,, or felt MIGHT be a problem. We do not know what is put in those blanks

contender":2f49qnjx said:
I personally would NOT use them in any firearm,,, even if it is a NEF revolver.
Yeah, that was real helpful. Gun snobbery is NOT welcome. :roll:

I stand by what I said before...and I was mostly talking to this moron:
pete44ru":2f49qnjx said:

If you don't have anything useful to say, for example, if you've never tried them and you have NO CLUE whether they work or not, and you can't understand the information you are posting, just keep your mouth closed. I don't need to hear from you, you're not helping anyone.

I say what I mean, and if you don't like it, well, tough sh!t. You don't have to respond to my posts, and quite frankly I would prefer several of the posters in here don't reply to my posts in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts