22 Plinkster: GLOCK 44 22LR - IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Buckeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginch2koH8E
GLOCK 44 22LR - IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?
Published on Jan 26, 2020

I was excited and had high hopes for the Glock 44 when it was released. Hopefully, Glock will remedy some of the issues with this handgun.

Is it worth the money? Well, $279 for a LCP2-.22, or $359 for this one. Close enough that I bought this new Glock.

I had high hopes this would be the Glock I could like.

Took it to the range today, and it gave me fits.

Before I join in with the ninjas and operators that have already professed this gun is no good, because they read it somewhere, I'm gonna try a different magazine and do some experimenting.

Later...

jjas

Single-Sixer
I have no idea if this pistol is "worth the money" or not, (as that can be considered subjective by many), but it does sound like .22 plinkster has a few issues with it.

Do I agree with him? On some points (the magazines, and sights) I can kind of see his point. Will others find the same problems? I guess time will tell. On the ammo weight issue he complained about, I don't necessarily agree with that @ all. Just because a certain pistol won't run your pet bulk ammo, doesn't necessarily make it unreliable. I wish he had tried some CCI blazer ammo to see how it shoots. The standard velocity CCI ran fine and the higher velocity CCI Stingers did as well. Regardless, I don't believe I've ever had a .22 rifle or pistol that wouldn't run with blazer ammo and I consider it to be less expensive ammo.

Finally, it's a new .22 pistol. And new .22 pistols sometimes have issues. That's why I rarely buy one until it's been on the market for a bit and see what the reviews are like and if there seems to be a common complaint and/or issue.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I think I'm less concerned with his choice of ammo (since he has gotten excellent
results previously), and be more concerned with sights that are not well fitted to
the gun and magazines that are harder to load properly.

While I understand Glock's use of a polymer slide to reduce inertia, it just seems to
me to be a gun solution looking for a problem to fix.

To me, no, I don't think it will be worth the money.

YMMV

Snake45

Hawkeye
I wouldn't give you $100 for one. But then, I already have several nice real .22 handguns.

The link shows a Kaboom. And when it does, the guy says the F-bomb. If you're offended, please don't open the link, or just turn the sound down. The video is revealing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7wi_F_gYcT/?fbclid=IwAR0VkYTmYfM0TRqgQUHmUeDdm1dwpSCVbz5oKnVgRgS9UC1legq1gQgX-gQ

My Glock 44 doesn't like Mini Mag hollow points. And the resulting misfeeds provide potential for an out of battery slam fire.

I saw one Glock review back in December when this gun was announced and they had supposedly tried all the different brands of 22 ammunition available. I know they said how many rounds they fired in testing, I forget exactly but it sure sounded impressive.

I was excited to get one, probably next month, I think they are going for around $350 here in DFW.

hpman66

Buckeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2GIGgLzGJ4
Glock 44 22lr pistol real world test
boomstick779
Published on Jan 22, 2020

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
hpman66 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2GIGgLzGJ4
Glock 44 22lr pistol real world test
By someone that doesn't know how to hold the gun.

hpman66

Buckeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0DiauIStM
New Glock 44 - A peach or a lemon?
Military Arms Channel
Published on Feb 6, 2020

silverback

Blackhawk
Glock should have done more with mag capacity. I am more excited about the taurus 22 and or the kel tec p17. Both have 16 rounds mags. Keltec is the lighter. I just picked up the ruger lcp II 22lr for ten round fun gun . Great fun reliable and accurate. All are less expensive than the glock. I have my glock 17L as my go to war gun. I am just saying glock could have been more innovative with a 22lr model.

silverback said:
Glock should have done more with mag capacity. I am more excited about the taurus 22 and or the kel tec p17. Both have 16 rounds mags. Keltec is the lighter. I just picked up the ruger lcp II 22lr for ten round fun gun . Great fun reliable and accurate. All are less expensive than the glock. I have my glock 17L as my go to war gun. I am just saying glock could have been more innovative with a 22lr model.

I sorta suspect if they could get past the feeding and/or magazine problems, they might move forward with a higher magazine capacity.

I've got one of these Glock 44's. The concept is great, the function is not.

P.S.

Since I posted earlier today, I went to the range and shot another 100+ rounds thru this G-44. No failures of any kind!

I'm learning what makes it work, and what makes it not work.
:mrgreen:

9x19

Hunter
"I'm learning what makes it work, and what makes it not work. "

Same as it's always been, where .22 auto-loaders are concerned... still, I think I prefer being in the game, rather than sitting on the bench, watching replays on the Jumbo-tron. :D

hpman66

Buckeye
There are quite a few pistols that will reliably function with Federal 550 36gr pack bulk ammo. I wouldn’t invest that much $ in a pistol that won’t reliably fire Federal 550 36gr pack bulk ammo. It’s a plinker NOT a match pistol with expensive tastes in ammo.

hittman

Staff member
Guy at my range today was shooting his for the very first time.

He ran a variety of ammo through it, over 100 rounds, no problems. No, I don't know what brand etc he was using.

He gave it a thumbs up.

And ..... my experience is about all 22's can be finicky on ammo and you gotta learn what your gun likes. All that's certain in my world is that ALL my 22s HATE HATE HATE Remington Thunderbolt. :lol:

And again today, I fired another 100 rounds in my G-44 very successfully.

I cannot imagine such a gun requiring such an extensive a break in, and I thought the failures were design-induced. But after 600+ rounds, this little Glock is operating like it's supposed to. :mrgreen:

The only failures today were CCI standard velocity, and CCI Copper-22 . Neither of these rounds have enough oomph to fully cycle the slide.

Previously, Mini Mag hollow points gave me fits in this gun. Now they're running as well as most everything else.

Another revelation...
So far, Winchester 45 gr subsonics have been the accuracy winner in this pistol. Today, Stingers were by far, the most accurate. Go figure.

hittman

Staff member
As I get older and have more patience (no, really, I mean it) I count break in at about 500 rounds for a semi-auto. I've been there and done that with snap decisions on a polymer gun being deemed "junk" before it's time.

In a perfect world, wouldn't have to do that but ..... it ain't perfect.

hpman66

Buckeye
I may have to eat my words and do a mea culpa later on. However when the likes of MAC, 22 Plinkster and others all seem to have the same problems with the Glock 44, I’ll wait and see what happens down the road. If the problems get ironed out/corrected, that will be great.

9x19

Hunter
To be complete, I think this thread needs a picture... :D

My G44
LMy4bYl.jpg

You are exactly correct.

I had prepared a photo-essay of my experiences with this pistol, both good and bad. It showed the many failures of multiple causes with multiple types of ammo. I did not post it, and now I'm glad I didn't. The failures would be remembered far more indelibly than the little paragraph that says my gun now operates as it should.