22 MAGNUM FOR SELF DEFENSE - FEDERAL PUNCH 22 WMR IN THE RUGER LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Interesting. Tried the Hornady FTX 45 grain when I could not find CCI brand last year. For my rifle though and not a handgun. Does group super tight I noticed at 50-60 yards out of my 18 inch barrel. Thanks for the video. Would not hesitate to buy.

Reactions: JCK

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Did see a box of Federal 50 grain 22 mag a few weeks back. Slower but should pack a punch. Probably not the self defense stuff.

I need some if those for my little ruger
20220625_171652(1).jpg

Mauser9

Blackhawk
I like both of em guys. Bet that Airweight 357 jumps a bit! Thanks for the pics.

Polizei45

Bearcat
I have a S&W model 351c 22 magnum as a backup gun. It only weights 11 4 oz. I have loaded mine with Speer Gold Dot. You can tell the difference between standard 22 magnums and Gold Dot.I will try the Federal Punch. I am right handed. I carry the S&W in my left uniform cargo pants pocket. My reasoning is if my primary hand and firearm injury, I want something I can use with my secondary hand.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I have a S&W 351c in .22 magnum and a S&W 43c in .22 Long Rifle. Some time back a friend pointed out that out of a 2" barrel, the .22 magnum gives you very little extra over a .22 Long Rifle with Velocitor or similar ammo. I did a bit of looking on line and agree. 7 shots versus 8 shots not a big difference either. Both are very light weight and reliable. Making a big deal about the difference is for those who like to argue or write for the gun magazines. All guns are compromises so carry what you want and be the best you can be with it.

I have a .22 magnum derringer, and it has some oomph, but for defense I prefer a .22 LR hollow point. Stopping power in a small package. I know it's not the favorite brand here, but I prefer Aguila 38 grain Super Extra ( 1280 fps) for this type of ammo. ( Apologies for the slight thread hijack. )

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Been shooting the Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain ammo in my Ruger American compact. 18 inch barrel and the ammo groups fantastic. Very tight groups at 50 -75 yards. 45 grain bullet makes for penetration

buckaroo

Banned
I watched that video above it was impressive especially going through the denim. And it did perform better than that Gold Dot. I bought some a couple weeks ago for my 9mm haven't shot any of it but the price was right as they say. I don't care about the ballistics so much as I do about cycling in the gun.

As far as stopping power, there is not a handgun round that can make that claim. We only carry them because it's convenient.
There's a story about a boy who killed someone with a rock.
Back in my old stopping grounds a druggie got nailed with four .40 S&W he lived another five years taken out by some other druggies point blank to the head with a .45.

Rim-fire is rim-fire, if it goes bang every time count yourself lucky.

Latest posts