22 magnum cylinder or just 22LR???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jtischauser

Bearcat
I have an older New Model Single Six Bisley that I inhereted from my father. I am trying to determine if the cylinder is chambered for 22LR or 22 magnum. The gun has a stainless cylinder which I don't think came from the factory. When I shoot 22LR through it I get a casing that ruptures along the side wall about 1 in 20 rounds. I have not tried any magnums in it. How can I tell if it us a LR or Magnum cylinder. Could the rupturing casings be from shooting LR in a mag cylinder? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jesse

TDF

Single-Sixer
Take the cylinder out of the gun and look through it from the rear. If you can see a step inside about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down it's a magnum. If it's bored straight though it's a LR.

TDF

yessir, the early 'new model ' cylinders were NOT marked "magnums" you have to try the larger shell or as said above actuaslly look down , inside the chamber for that "step".......thats why later on, Ruger started to mark the "spare", Magnum cylinders, as well as make them 'unfluted' even a "blind person could tell..." ( but can they hit the target..??) :shock:

jtischauser

Bearcat
So the magnum DOES have a larger diameter as well as being longer? If it's a magnum, can you shoot the LR in it as well? Does the LR fit loosely in the cylinder? It appears to on this one. Is that looseness casing the to expand more than it should and then rupture?

Yes, the magnum case is larger in diameter than the LR, and longer as well.

Yes, a LR case will fit very loosely in the magnum chambers.

Yes, the LR cases will likely split if fired in the magnum cylinder . . . it's not recommended. That's why there are two cylinders.

:D

louiethelump

Buckeye
I don't believe the Bisleys came with a magnum or stainless cylinder at all did they?????? The only stainless Bisley I have seen was a 4 5/8" high polish I had and it was .22 LR only. I think you have a non original cylinder in .22 magnum

jtischauser

Bearcat
I do believe it is a non origianl cylinder in the gun. Is thhe use of this cylinder OK?

The cylinder does have the ridge down in it about 2/3 of the way down so I guess I will be buying some 22 Mag bullets.

Thanks guys!

If the cylinder "locks up" properly and doesn't have excesive "end play" it will probably be OK. Performance will tell the tale.

Check the front face of the cylinder. If it was furnished with the gun, it should have the last three digits of the gun's serial number "scratched " onto it. Look closely.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Before I fired a magnum through this revolver, I would call Ruger and ask them if this is a 22lr/22magnum firearm or if it is 22LR only. At the very least I would look at the left side of the frame and see if it says Magnum.

If it is 22lr only I would not fire a magnum through it. Even though you have a magnum cylinder.

I believe that the LR bullet is .223" in diameter and the magnum is .224' in diameter. this could cause some pressure problems. While it probably won't blow up your Ruger it will probably cause some stress problems and wear it out faster.

DM

As far as I know, all the Bisleys were "optimized" for the magnum round, as are all other New Models. However, I'm not aware of any Bisleys actually marked "Magnum". Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

SAAMI spec for the .22LR bullet is .2255" (-.004) while the .22 Magnum bullet is .2245" (-.004).

That's your best bet to ease your mind. :D

The thing is, the .22LR chambers are bored straight thru to accept the .226" ammo case which is essentially the same diameter as the bullet, while the .22Magnum chambers are bored to accept the .22Magnum cartridge cases which are .242" diameter. Thus the .22LR rounds tend to split when fired in the "oversize" Magnum chambers.

chet15

Hawkeye
Off the subject (a little bit) but I knew a person once who bought a Single-Six at a gun show and found out his gun had the one cylinder chambered for .22 LR in every other chamber and the other chambers for .22 Mag! Ruger forgot to index the cylinder the next step to chamber the other three to mags.
Chet15

That assumes the chambering operation first chambers each hole for .22LR and then goes on to re-chamber them for .22Magnum. Seems unlikely.

Not doubting the existence of the strange cylinder, just the "how".

If at that time they were doing "gang reaming" it could have been an improperly-assembled "gang". To me, it almost seems intentional, however, particularly considering the "every other hole" scenario.

edlmann

Blackhawk
chet15":88hlrppz said:
Off the subject (a little bit) but I knew a person once who bought a Single-Six at a gun show and found out his gun had the one cylinder chambered for .22 LR in every other chamber and the other chambers for .22 Mag! Ruger forgot to index the cylinder the next step to chamber the other three to mags.

Remember a story from years ago. One of the then-prominent gun writers received a rifle to test from the manufacturer, complete with factory test target. The problem? The barrel had never been chambered. Screwy stuff happens.