.22 Hornet and Magnum primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
All I have been able to find locally for my .22 Hornet is CCI magnum small rifle primers. Will I have consistency problems if I use these? What about using small pistol primers (standard non-magnum)? I plan to start off using 40 grain Nosler ballistic tips and 2400 powder.

GP100man

Buckeye
David

I`ve done some research on the hornet & the consensus was mag primers dislodge the bullet before the powder starts to burn !!

I have no exp. with the hornet as the trade I had fell thru , but i did do a bunch of reading .

I was gonna put the girls to shootin & loading the hornet.

96/44

Blackhawk
Pistol primers are the way to go. Never had much success with any rifle primers in my hornet, magnum rifle would definitely be overkill.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I use 13 grains of Lil'gun powder and standard pistol primers with a 35 grain hollowpoint. I have shot Hornets for years and always use small pistol primers. This load in my Savage model 40 shoots consistent groups under 1/2" at 100 yards.

One of the gun rags has a staff writer who used to work for CCI, a real knowledgeable guy. His research says go with small pistol primers for consistancy, too much gas volume with SR and SRM primers. This may be the case with SPM primers too. Too much gas volume means the bullet takes off too soon before the powder cranks up. The bullet hits the rifleing slowns down/stops for a micro second then the powder has to get it going again. Results is two pressure spikes that are not consistent.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Acquired a Kimber Model 82 22 Hornet in 1982. Had it rechambered to K-Hornet. Have shot many rounds and always used small rifle primers, either CCI BR or Remington 7.5. Various loads always put 5 shots in under an inch at 100 yards. Seemed perfectly satisfactory. FWIW never did try small pistol or magnum primers.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I have a couple of friends that also swore by small rifle primers until they finally gave in and tried small pistol primers. Needless to say they didn't go back to rifle primers. Try both magnum and standard pistol primers and use the one that gives you the best groups. I do reduce from 13 down to 12 grains of Lil' Gun when magnum pistol primer is used. Most of my hornets have prefered standard pistol primers.

Latest posts