.22 GP100 cylinder firing pin marks. Ruger CS is great!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dingode

Single-Sixer
I sent my new .22 GP back to Ruger a couple of weeks ago for some issues discussed in this thread.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=253790

I called them Monday to get a status update and I was told someone would get back with me Tuesday. Tuesday came and went but I never got a call. Wednesday morning they called first thing in the morning, but I was still in bed and missed it. I called back but was never able to get through to the CS agent handling my case.

I called first thing this morning and was able to talk to the agent, a nice lady named Kim. She apologized for not calling me back and explained to me why. Evidently, they have deemed my gun unrepairable and, since it was the 4" distributor exclusive, it was a limited run and is no longer in production. She hadn't called me back because she was working with her supervisor on how they were going to resolve the issue.

She was still working on that first thing this morning when I called. Her supervisor just happened to be standing next to her while we were talking and said he had just heard back from the production floor and they were going to build a new gun for me today and it should ship later today or tomorrow! While I'm sure all that's required is typing in a different program number on a CNC lathe to cut the 5.5" barrel down to 4" it still takes time away from normal production. I'm very happy they're going the extra mile to do this!

I really wonder what they found wrong with my original gun. The cylinder itself should have been easy to replace and fit. Maybe the depth of the pocket the firing pin was threaded into was too deep and it would have allowed it to dent the new cylinder. I guess it could have been one of the other issues it was sent in for too, sticky extraction and bulged cases. Again though, a new cylinder should have fixed that. They aren't saying, so I guess we'll never know.

I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that they'll give it a good once over and make sure there aren't any fit, finish problems or other issues like burrs on the ejector star.

Since it was a Davidson's exclusive and they have a lifetime warranty, so I guess I could have sent it back to them for an exchange. I'd have had to pay to ship and if they were out I'd have ended up with a refund or a 5.5" model, which would have been O.K. too I guess. I kinda wonder if the new gun will fall under Davidson's or would be considered a factory one off since the serial number won't fall in the range of the original Davidson's allotment. I have to call back to see if they'll cover the FFL transfer fee, so I'll ask about that if I remember.

I'll post an update when I get it, hopefully Saturday or Monday.

pinshooter

Bearcat
How do you handle registration on the gun when they swap it with another one? Do you have to prove you no longer own the first one before you register the second one? Just curious, never had that happen.

dingode

Single-Sixer
No registration here in Ohio. I just have to get the new gun through an FFL and since my CHL is newer he won't even have to call for an NICS background check. I'll fill out the 4473, pay him $20 which I hope Ruger reimburses me, and be on my merry way.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Ruger will destroy the gun you sent in and use the same serial number on the one they are building for you. Or at least that's how S&W does it. That way, a 4" GP-100 22 came in with #1234567 and a 4" GP-100 22 left with serial #1234567. I suspect the one you sent in will find its way back to the foundry and be cast into something else. Bob!! :D

dingode

Single-Sixer
I think they're using a different serial number since they have to ship it to an FFL instead of directly back to me.

Mus408

Hunter
Very interesting they are going to replace the gun for a cylinder/firing pin issue.
The new one should be a beauty!

I wonder if they are having issues regarding where the firing pin hole is machined into
the frame, no repair on that other than replacement.
I know my gun just gets the outside of the cartridge rim and it dimpled the cylinder
charge holes. I've since chamfered the holes and reshaped the pin so it clears.
Pinshooters gun probably is hitting .040 to .050 closer to cylinder centerline than
mine.
Dave P.

DPris

Buckeye
The replacement is unlikely to have the same serial, and while it's good of Ruger to replace a defective gun, they create more hassle than necessary in requiring FFL involvement.

Unless local statutes prohibit, they can legally ship a replacement directly to your front door.
Denis

choirboy

Bearcat
Kel-Tec rebuilt my P11 and indicated the receiver was replaced. It was returned directly to me with the same serial #. We'd like to hear all the details when you get it.

A long time ago I bought a brand new Browning Buckmark, it misfired often, so the shop sent it in and Browning replaced it with another with a different serial number. If I remember right, I did not have to fill out the paperwork again. It was back in Washington and you have to wait 24 hours to take possession of a handgun, which I also did not have to do.