.22 Conversions (Pistol)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you've been thinking of buying a .22 conversion for your 1911, Browning P35, or Glock, be sure to check out the February 2010 issue of Guns magazine. John Taffin bench-tests a number of them for function and accuracy.

Long story short: With the exception of the expensive ($500) Marvel Unit 1, they all shot about the same, more or less. Of particular interest, the cheapest unit tested, the base-model Ciener 1911, shot every bit as well as the more expensive Kimber and Tactical Solutions 1911 conversions, which cost much more, and even shot better than Ciener's own "Platinum Cup" premium unit with a couple types of ammo.

Taffin's results exactly parallel my own experience with three different base-model Ciener units (2 1911s and 1 P35).

Good reading, good gear!

9x19

Hunter
Gun'zines and I generally don't get along, so I'll skip the article, but will admit that the Kimber and Advantage Arms Glock conversions I have are really well made, reliable and accurate.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It's a two-part article based on objective comparison and well-documented results. Long overdue. Hard to understand why so many gun designers and manufacturing companies have had so much trouble for decades, making a reliable and accurate machine. ???

Snake45

Hawkeye
I wish Ciener or somebody would make a .22 conversion for the S&W 39/59 series guns. I'd buy that one in a New York Minute!

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Fox Mike":3kxwk3rq said:
I personally don't know beans about them but read all I can to find one that I am not having to hock the farm to buy and that actually works as designed.
I have three Cieners--the cheapest ones available AFAIK--and they're as reliable as any semiautomatic .22s I own (which is to say, they're as reliable as the ammo they're fed). No complaints at all.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have a few Tactical Solutions units and they are awesome. I have also shot the Custom fit STI upper for their 2011 guns for Steel Challenge and they are the best, but they are very expensive at $800.

Snake45":3rmgu8qy said:
Fox Mike":3rmgu8qy said:
I personally don't know beans about them but read all I can to find one that I am not having to hock the farm to buy and that actually works as designed.
I have three Cieners--the cheapest ones available AFAIK--and they're as reliable as any semiautomatic .22s I own (which is to say, they're as reliable as the ammo they're fed). No complaints at all.

Do you have the 1911 or the Platinum model?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have the straight 1911 model, and a Commander model, and a P35--all with fixed sights. No platinums. They all shoot great.

22Pistols.jpg