.22 CB's ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Drummer4Yeshua

Bearcat
On the Hudson - Somewhere between NYC and Poughkee
I have been shooting for a number of years. Owned a number of .22 rifles and currently own and shoot a MK-II as well as a .22 rifle. In all this time I have never heard of a .22CB.

Can someone give me some info on them? I read that they can sometimes get stuck in a rifle barrel. I would love to use them in my MK-II but they look like they would never feed and if they did they wouldn't cycle the slide>

I think they would be great for handling the squirrel problem in my yard without alarming the neighbors.

wwb

Hunter
CBs can still be pretty loud out of a short barrel, but out of a .22 rifle they are very quiet.

If your .22 rifle is an autoloader, they won't cycle the action... they also won't feed from a magazine unless your rifle is designed to handle .22 shorts (CBs are the same size as shorts, but have less powder). For yard critter control, I load them one at a time in a 10/22.

Never heard of one getting stuck in a barrel..... sounds like an old wives tale. I've been shooting them in a half-dozen different .22s for over 40 years - Single Six, Mark I, Colt Woodsman, Savage rifle, 10/22, and Marlin .22 rifle.

Snake45

Hawkeye
CCI makes CB Longs. These won't cycle an autoloader's action but they WILL manually feed from magazines with no problems (at least they did in the dozen or so guns I've tried them in).

They are great fun and very accurate but their drawback is they're pretty expensive--2 to 3 times the cost of bulk ammo. I have a hard time paying 6 cents or more for basically pellet gun performance.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
The stuck in the barrel thing comes from similar ammo loaded by Aguila (colibri). They use a 20 grain bullet and are loaded extremely light, so can stick in a rifle barrel sometimes.

I've never heard of a CCI CB short or long sticking in a barrel.

They're loud from a pistol, but quiet from a rifle, and while they won't cycle an auto-loader, they're great from a bolt or pump designed to feed and shoot shorts. As mentioned above, they can be loaded one at a time in an auto-loader.

To kill animals on-the-spot, you'll likely need to use head shots. Other places will kill small animals, but they might run a bit.

I've been using these and similar ammo since the 1970's.

;)

Daryl

flatgate

Hawkeye
AzRebel":2s5syyhn said:
The stuck in the barrel thing comes from similar ammo loaded by Aguila (colibri). They use a 20 grain bullet and are loaded extremely light, so can stick in a rifle barrel sometimes.
Daryl

They are loaded so light that there's no powder in the case!

44617540.jpg

If you look closely at the above image you'll see the "sans poudre" statement on the box.

flatgate

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
flatgate,

I pulled the bullet on a CB short once, too. The one I pulled didn't have any powder in it; just a priming compound of some kind, and if I remember right there might have been some sort of small white wafer looking thing in it. No granulated powder, though.

I've shot a few of the Colibri cartridges through a Win 72 that has a barrel that's a bit long. I never stuck one, but they're pretty anemic. The CB shorts shoot way harder, even though they're pretty light too, and the rifle holds more of them.

Daryl

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
edlmann":zym1qd39 said:
wwb":zym1qd39 said:
(CBs are the same size as shorts, but have less powder).

The current production CBs are loaded in wither short or long cases, but they used to be loaded in their own cases, which were about 1/4" long.

The actual CCI CB's have been loaded in .22 short cases for a lot of years.

You might be thinking of the old caps with a pointed bullet? They were loaded in tiny little cases, and came in a round tin like you'd buy pellets in. It's been a lot of years since I saw them, but it seems like they said something like "dynamit" on the lid, and I don't remember who made them now.

They were great for feral cats, even though I always had to load them one at a time into the chamber.

Daryl

edlmann

Blackhawk
AzRebel":2fuv8obv said:
edlmann":2fuv8obv said:
wwb":2fuv8obv said:
(CBs are the same size as shorts, but have less powder).
The current production CBs are loaded in either short or long cases, but they used to be loaded in their own cases, which were about 1/4" long.
The actual CCI CB's have been loaded in .22 short cases for a lot of years.
You might be thinking of the old caps with a pointed bullet? They were loaded in tiny little cases, and came in a round tin like you'd buy pellets in. It's been a lot of years since I saw them, but it seems like they said something like "dynamit" on the lid, and I don't remember who made them now.
They were great for feral cats, even though I always had to load them one at a time into the chamber.

I went to a Boy Scout event Tampa in the early '60s. One of the Troops had set up a shooting event using either BB or CB caps. Had to shut down when a few penetrated the drywall backstop and dinged some cars parked behind.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I went to a Boy Scout event Tampa in the early '60s. One of the Troops had set up a shooting event using either BB or CB caps. Had to shut down when a few penetrated the drywall backstop and dinged some cars parked behind.

Yep. Drywall won't hold up to repeated impacts. Even many layers would eventually deteriorate. A few heavy blankets, hung loose will stop them though.

Rubber .45 caliber bullets, powered by only a primer will also penetrate drywall pretty easily. The blankets stop those, too.

Believe me, I knew how to have fun as a kid/teenager.

;)

Daryl

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I think I can add a bit here as I have some BB Caps and CB Caps. As I understand it, BB stands for "ball bullet" and CB stands for "conical bullet."

In this pic I just took, I placed a .22 LR with them for comparison. Fired some recently from a derringer, and they did make a pretty good bang, considering.

Tom
BBCaps.jpg

Drummer4Yeshua

Bearcat
On the Hudson - Somewhere between NYC and Poughkee
Why do I love the guys on this site? They come through!!! Thanks for the input. My first thought was that I've got to get a box of both longs and shorts. Now I realize - I need a new gun.

I'm not a "cowboy gun" kinda guy it seems this may be the time to look into a .22 revolver. A Ruger of course.

Snake45

Hawkeye
AzRebel":2yphp048 said:

Yep. Drywall won't hold up to repeated impacts. Even many layers would eventually deteriorate. A few heavy blankets, hung loose will stop them though.

Rubber .45 caliber bullets, powered by only a primer will also penetrate drywall pretty easily. The blankets stop those, too.

Believe me, I knew how to have fun as a kid/teenager.

;)

Daryl
When I used to shoot them in my attic, I used a stack of newspaper about 6-8" thick. After a couple weeks I'd have to keep a close check on it because the "rat hole" would get deeper and deeper. (Oh yes, I am just that GOOD!) :lol:

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Snake,

I used to shoot them into a 2x6. They'd bury themselves just enough to keep from bouncing back. I never wore one of those out, but it wasn't like I shot hundreds of bullets into them, either.

It was just easy practice, and something to do. Much more entertaining than video games (I never liked video games much).

:)

Daryl

Latest posts