22 ammo price rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

No, I'm not talking about the current prices. I'm talking about those who do. I'm willing to bet there are hundreds(maybe hundreds of thousands) of complainers who regularly spent more on a night out on the town than a case of 22 cost 2-3 years ago. The fact that they were so short sighted is having a disastrous effect on the folks who just didn't have the funds to lay in a supply even before the price went crazy.
I know there are some who are having serious problems trying to afford to shoot or keep their kids shooting. My Grandsons are 8-9 and I got them new 22's for Christmas last year but they have no concerns about when/where their next box of 22 is coming from or what it might cost.
Most of us on this forum are common sense sort of folks so I hope this foolishness ends soon and that the lesson is learned well.

I still have quite a bit in my personal stash. But I was at Wal Mart the other day as I would buy more if I can find it. Anyway the guy working said he seemed to think regular supplies would be coming in about a month or so.

I was at Cabelas and the Bass Pro shop this weekend. It seems like they both have decent supplies of everything except .22.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I don't shoot much. I keep a 10/22 handy for the ground hogs and armadillos tearing up my yard and out buildings. I might use 3-6 rounds to check zero occasionally but not 100s of rounds at a time. The 300 rounds I had before the craziness started would have probably lasted me until things lightened up. Luckily I found a 555 round brick at Wally for <$25.... at 73 years old I may have a lifetime supply.

fyimo

Bearcat
I stocked up long before the current shortage but I will still buy if I see it at a price I'm willing to pay. I found two bricks of 550 Federal bulk packs yesterday for $37 a brick and for around 7 cents a round it's still worth it.

hittman

Staff member
fyimo said:
I stocked up long before the current shortage but I will still buy if I see it at a price I'm willing to pay.

Me too ~ today I lucked into two 333 packs of Winchester for $18.00 each.

DGW1949

Hunter
The purpose of this thread is to rant about those who rant ?????.....
....Well please pardon me while I LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

Actually the purpose is to point out that many of those who complain about the current prices or availability have no one to blame but themselves. On the other hand are those who are financially struggling and could not afford to stock up on ammo at pre-manic prices. These folks can't enjoy shooting now because those who failed to properly prepare have driven the prices up.

I'm sure it's on his web site. But Gunblast's Jeff Quinn had a video about rimfire prices and scarcity. He said we shouldn't do any future business with current price gougers. He also said something to the effect of stock up on .22 ammo when you are able. It will last a long time etc. His version was funnier, something about it's only money and if you die you don't need money or ammo. (Paraphrasing)

fyimo

Bearcat
I guess I have to believe someone with a lot of stroke has limited shipments of 22LR, 223, 7.62X39, ETC along with primers and gun powder so when I see something I want and it's at price that isn't gouging I buy it. Manufacturing businesses are in business to make money and so they will bust their butt to supply what is in demand and the fact that they aren't speaks to something different and out of the ordinary.

DGW1949

Hunter
Mobuck said:
Actually the purpose is to point out that many of those who complain about the current prices or availability have no one to blame but themselves. On the other hand are those who are financially struggling and could not afford to stock up on ammo at pre-manic prices. These folks can't enjoy shooting now because those who failed to properly prepare have driven the prices up.

Just going from many of the other responses this thread has had, I'd have to say that I aint the only one who misunderstood.
Apparently, there's quite a few folks who happen to be in a similar boat as you, meaning that the have plenty. Yet, even those folks are still buying more themselves.

Far as prices 'n availabilty goes....I watched this whole thing unfold right before my eyes. As I recall, it took about 3 days for buyers to empty the shelves at the various "big-box" stores. During that same time period, I watched the price of ammo on the auction sights tripple....yet buyers kept buying, and more often than not, buying it in case lots...and then suddenly, there simply tweren't no more to be had.....except of course, on various sale boards and/or at gun shows, AND at even higher prices.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a hard time believing that all of that was due to the actions of high-volume shooters who just happened to have been out of ammo that week. Instead of that senerio, I'm more inclinded to believe that it was due to nearly everybody wanting to get what they could, while they could...for whatever reason...including a lot of the folks who actualy had "enough" anyhow...some of which at least, say they still do......all of which adds to the (still) present price/availabilty problem that is being experienced with some calibers...particularly the .22 RF.
And do note that I've not mentioned anything about greed, gouging or hoarding. What I'm talkiing about here is just human nature in general.....which may or may not include you, but dern-sure includes me. Yes it's true....when I'm down to 1000 rds of my own favorite caliber(s), I figure that I need to buy more. I've been like that for years, and still am today. Matter of fact, I have a case of 1000 rds on the way to me right now, which coulda/mighta went to academy instead...but now can't.

So....tell me again, just how it is that some guy who just bought himself a new rifle and/or wants to take his grankids shooting, has no one but himself to blame because he can't seem to find any .22 ammo down at his local Walmart?....'cause to my way of thinking, that simply aint the case at all.....and sorry, but a thinly-disquised chest-thumping don't do one dern thing to make his situation any better.

So....there's my own rant. Take it FWIW.

DGW

jimd441

Blackhawk
OK, I'll rant. I often purchase .22 ammo (along with other ammo) from on-line suppliers. A couple of the suppliers I have used often have spiked their prices tremendously during the shortage, others have not. I now know who I will support and who I won't when the shortage finally abates.

Jim

DGW1949

Hunter
jimd441 said:
OK, I'll rant. I often purchase .22 ammo (along with other ammo) from on-line suppliers. A couple of the suppliers I have used often have spiked their prices tremendously during the shortage, others have not. I now know who I will support and who I won't when the shortage finally abates.

Jim

I'm with ya on that one!....and I don't mind telling them why neither.

DGW