.22 ammo at my local Ace Hardware.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Buckeye
The wife and I hit our local Ace Hardware store yesterday morning to get a few parts to repair our swamp cooler. The had a sign out front which advedrtised specials. On it it said, "We have .22 LR ammo." Wll we got our stuff we needed so I asked about the ammo. The also had 9MM, .40's and .45 ACP but all I needed was the .22's. By the time I paid the price of ammo plus the tax, a 50 round box of solid (Not HP) as pushing $20. :shock: I asked the guy helping us how were sales on the .22's? He said nobody has bought any yet. I said I'm not surprised. I told him that I can go to Sportsman's Warehouse on delivery day (Friday) hang around waiting for the truck and buy a brick of 500 for $35 and no city sales tax, only county tax. I don't bother bcause the truck could get there at 9:00 when they open or it might be as late as 4:00PM in the afternoon and my bad knee won't allow me to stand around waiting for the truck. It was all I could do to keep from laughing in the guy's face. After all he just worked there. If he'd been the manager it might have been a different story.
We had an Ace when I lived in a small Nevada cowtown and they had a shotgun marked way too low. Figured I could buy it and make a fast turn around. The boss hadn't seen the mistake I guess and when he saw it he realized is was a wrong price by $100 even. :shock: I said no matter, if you want to charge the right price I'll still take it. He says, No, that's the price that was on the tag and that's what you'll pay." We had two hardwares in that town and both catered to shooters and handloaders. I won't mention names but when I went to the other one to order a simple Lee 30 caliber bullet mold, you just could not imagine the crap the dude dished out, and he was the manager. Dunno what his problem was but he griped about we who worked for the Weather Bureau as it was called back them seemed to think we owned the town. :?: WTF? That was the very first time I'd even been in his store. For the record, in the ten years I lived in that town, I never wsent to his placde of business again which most likely made both of us happy.
Paul B.

Paul B

Buckeye
Ruger Packer said:
Lemme see if I got this right....... you paid almost $20 for a FIFTY round box of .22LR ammo??? Dang!!! <SMH> :shock:

No. I passed on that deal. I've done a few dumb things in my life buy buying that ammo wasn't one of them. :lol: To quote old Ben Gunn; "I be shmart!"
Paul B.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Paul B said:
Ruger Packer said:
Lemme see if I got this right....... you paid almost $20 for a FIFTY round box of .22LR ammo??? Dang!!! <SMH> :shock:

No. I passed on that deal. I've done a few dumb things in my life buy buying that ammo wasn't one of them. :lol: To quote old Ben Gunn; "I be shmart!"
Paul B.

Paul you had us worried there for a minute !!!!!!

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Did you ask if he had any lipstick??? When they give you a dumb/puzzled look that is when I usually tell them----You know I usually like a little bit of kissing before I get screwed. :shock:

I will go out of my way for a good deal, but I will go way-way out of my way to avoid a rotten deal. I usually make it a point to let them know why me and my money will not be back.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I’ve notice that to get .22 LR on the shelf some local hardware stores including a few Ace Hardwares have top of the line .22 LR target cartridges that they never would have stocked in normal times. I haven’t strapped myself in the heavy leather coat and tried to get into the sitting and kneeling positions in so long I’ve forgotten most of the names of the best cartridges but CCI Green Tag, RWS, and Ely TenX come to mind. That stuff always was expensive, perhaps $50 to $75 a brick ten years ago. The price of most ammunition has about tripled since then. I don't see a big gouging conspiracy. The little store might just have paid a high wholesale price for the only .22s they could get so they’ll have some .22s for the farmer who needs to get pests out of his crops.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Yep.... If Paul is referring to the ACE on 22nd near Kolb. All they had was high zoot target ammo for .22lr.....

Paul B

Buckeye
Nope. This one was on Valencia twixt Mission and Cardinal. Just out of curiosity. Where do you shoot? The county range or Three Points? I can do either as each is exactlty 22 miles from the house. I do Three points because I have a membership so it's only something like $75 a year for a family membership. About the only time I do the county is when we have a range day for the Hunter Ed classes that's being held there.
Paul B.

Latest posts