22/45 Type III questing on jams

Help Support Ruger Forum:

99igor

Bearcat
I have not put over 500 rounds through this gun and I still have an occasional problem with jams. I have not had one feeding but rather the spent shell that gets extracted sticks in the slide.

I cleaned the gun prior to the first use. I went to the range and fired some where around 200 or so rounds through it. I had probably 4 or 5 shells jam in the slide while exiting the pistol. I locked the slide as was able to pull the spent cartridge out with out any problem in each instance.

I brought the gun home and cleaned it again and today I was back at the range. I put the remaining 320 rounds of a 525 box of Federal shells through the gun and had probably 2 or 3 more of the same type of jam.

I have 4 magazines, two the came with the gun and two more that are factory magazines that I got at cheaper then dirt in TX, All have had the exact amount of rounds run through them.

And it dose not seem like the jams are happening with a specific magazine.

Has anyone here experienced this problem?

(By the way I did just post a bio in the new members page.)

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Has it all been with the same box/brand of ammo? I have jam problems when using bulk packs in my 22 rifle, some seem to just not have as much power, and don't cycle the gun completely. Try some different ammo, specifically some with either heavier bullets or higher velocities, or both. Bulk 22 always seems to be problematic, I stick with Remington Target 100 packs most of the time.

99igor

Bearcat
Yes it has been the same box of ammo! I wanted to use them up. I also have another box of the same Federal ammunition.

I did pickup a brick of Wind chester target ammo and I will try that in the next day or so.

BY the way I did have one mis fire with the Federal ammo. I ejected it and the rim had been hit noticeably.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yeah, there's usually at least 1 dead round in each bulk pack. At least, that's been my experience.

That stuff usually isn't that accurate either. Fun for plinking, that's about it.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Own a 22/45 Mark2....

2 thoughts after reading yer post.

First, at least 500 to break it in..which ya did.

Second try different kinds of ammo.

Mine Prefers Remington Golden Bullets.....

Not saying yers will to, just a suggestion to try :)

99igor

Bearcat
GhosT":14np4che said:
Own a 22/45 Mark2....

2 thoughts after reading yer post.

First, at least 500 to break it in..which ya did.

Second try different kinds of ammo.

Mine Prefers Remington Golden Bullets.....

Not saying yers will to, just a suggestion to try :)

Thank you. I will get back to the range later this week with different ammo.

1-3% failure rate on bulk 22lr ammo is not uncommon for me in either my MK III or 10/22. Even with the ones that seem to work often times you will get an odd round.... sounds different. It's cheap ammo.

I think you will find that your rate to eject with the Fed. Bulk is pretty normal. Nothing wrong with the gun. Try the same ammo in most other brands of 22lr semi-auto handguns and it would probably be twice as bad.

Mallard57

Bearcat
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 22/45 MkIII, different ammo didn't fix my problem with ejection. I took the easy way out, I bought and installed a Volquartsen extractor. I haven't had any problems since. It was money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Jeff

mini14jac

Bearcat
Mallard57":pq8ioyuw said:
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 22/45 MkIII, different ammo didn't fix my problem with ejection. I took the easy way out, I bought and installed a Volquartsen extractor. I haven't had any problems since. It was money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Jeff

Ditto.
Same gun, same problem, same solution.
(Mine was much worse actually.)
I tried five or six different brands of ammo and couldn't get through more than one mag without a jam.

The extractor was about $14 delivered, and worth it's weight in gold.
I've probably put 500 rounds of different brands through it since without one jam!

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
are yall talking about the VQ "exact edge" extractor? i see it for $12 ... + $10 shipping :?