22/45 MK3 trigger finger pinch?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Am I the only one whose trigger finger suffers when shooting the MK3 series?
Due to the way my joints work these days and geezer saggy skin syndrome, a little fold of skin ends up in the wrong place and gets pinched between the back side of the trigger and the rear of the trigger opening.
Last evening, Son zeroed the new dot optic on his 22/45 LITE and offered me the final 3 shots. YUP, I got a tiny blood blister. I resorted to Mr. Dremel on my own MK 3 pistols but Son didn't seem much impressed by my offer to 'fix' his gun. Maybe next time, I should put a dab of duct tape on the spot before shooting.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't get finger pinch,, but I have seen many folks add a bandaid to their fingers due to something like this.
One guy used to buy a golf glove to wear while shooting. Said it gave him a good feel AND kept his fingers protected.

plinker49

Bearcat
Am I the only one whose trigger finger suffers when shooting the MK3 series?
Due to the way my joints work these days and geezer saggy skin syndrome, a little fold of skin ends up in the wrong place and gets pinched between the back side of the trigger and the rear of the trigger opening.
Last evening, Son zeroed the new dot optic on his 22/45 LITE and offered me the final 3 shots. YUP, I got a tiny blood blister. I resorted to Mr. Dremel on my own MK 3 pistols but Son didn't seem much impressed by my offer to 'fix' his gun. Maybe next time, I should put a dab of duct tape on the spot before shooting.
My response may be a little late but I just picked up my new Mk IV 22/45 Lite about a week ago and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. It's a fantastic shooter but you're right, that little sucker bites the hand that fires it. I could defeat that by backing my finger out a bit, putting less of the pad on the trigger but that's an unnatural position for me plus I tended to forget and let my finger slide back in and then "ouch", again. I'm leery of the Dremel tool approach since the gun has the "gold" trigger and grinding it might really mar that up. I think I'll give the golf glove approach a try. Thanks for the tip.

plinker49 is spot on, the pad of the trigger finger should be centered on any auto pistols trigger .on double action revolvers then slide it in more...short ,long and stubby (fat) fingers can and will make a difference in the "feel" and also in the impact of your shots,,, wish I still had my old NRA "shot chart" card from back in the 50's you could "read" a persons grip/ hold, by the point of impact and their shot groups...... ;)
".....short fingers push, long fingers pull...."

".....and so it goes....." RIP Wil Terry:cool:

hittman

Staff member
LC9 and LCPs are known for finger pinch or trigger bite or whichever term they use.
Never heard of it on a MK3.
Seems to be a Ruger thing. :(

TestEngineer

Bearcat
,,, wish I still had my old NRA "shot chart" card from back in the 50's you could "read" a persons grip/ hold, by the point of impact and their shot groups...... ;)
This chart perhaps?

A2ajqbo.jpg

Another approach could be to install an aftermarket trigger. Seems to me that the overtravel screw would stop the trigger from coming back far enough to have "the pinch".