22/45 Hates hollow points

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm trying to break in my 22/45 so I've been shooting 40 grain Mini Mags with a lot of luck. I've fired 600 rounds of the CCIs and in the past 400 rounds there have been 0 failures.

I tried some CCI 36 grain Hollow Points and have problems with the jamming on the feed ramp. The bullet nose is getting stuck. Same thing happens with the other Hollow Points I've tried. The bullet nose dives into the feed ramp.

I'm thinking it's a magazine problem so I now have tuned 7 of my mags and I still have one or two that still jam with the Hollow Points.

Am I going about this the right way or are there other fixes I should try?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have tried my 22/45 Lite with Mini-mag 36 & 40 gr, Stingers, Velocitor, Super X Golden Bullets and Federal hp and it has no problem with any of them. My 15 year old 22/45 was having a lot of stove pipe jams, but a Tandemkross Eagle Claw extractor took care of that problem.

I sent Tom home with a working 22/45 and a new MecGar magazine. He tried some HP with a flat nose profile and had constant feeding issues. I'm pretty sure that mag doesn't like the flat nose profile and the thin edge of the HP makes it worse as it deforms easily. It may get better with some use.

e3mrk

Bearcat
Strange Mine wont feed American Eagle but loves CCI Mini Mags and does fine with Winchester Super X even though the Winchester is super dirty and looks like I'm shooting Black Powder when I shoot it.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Ironically, my MkIII won't chamber CCI minimags... they feed but the bolt won't close all the way. A little fouling makes it worse, but even with a totally clean chamber, it still happens.

"they feed but the bolt won't close all the way. A little fouling makes it worse, but even with a totally clean chamber, it still happens."

I think this indicates a problem other than a feeding issue.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mobuck said:
"they feed but the bolt won't close all the way. A little fouling makes it worse, but even with a totally clean chamber, it still happens."

I think this indicates a problem other than a feeding issue.
+1 I think the extractor may be the problem.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
If you want a HP that will feed in them, the Remington YellowJackets or Vipers(can't remember which is the HP) worked well in mine. They both have truncated noses....one being a solid and the other a hollow-point.

Jon

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I solved the problem with Hollow Points. I bought a new Mark IV 2/45 Lite and it will feed ANYTHING. I broke it in with 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. It now feeds anything from the expensive target ammo to the cheapest stuff I can find and HPs are no longer a problem.

Latest posts